Existence of solution legendre equation

In summary: Legendre's differential equation of order n using the basic existence theorem. The steps involve rewriting the system, applying Picard's theorem, and determining the values of M and T_0. However, there is uncertainty about how to calculate T_0 and assistance is requested.
saxen
Hi all, I have my exam in differential equations in one week so I will probably post a lot of question. I hope you won't get tired of me!

Homework Statement

This is Legendres differential equation of order n. Determine an interval [0 t_0] such that the basic existence theorem guarantees a solution.

(1-t^2) [itex]\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}[/itex] - 2t[itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex]+n(n-1)y = 0
y(0)=0
y'(0)=0

Homework Equations

Picard-Lindelöfs theorem
M = max |f(x)|

T_0 = min {T,δ/M}

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought, Picards theorem is for first order equation so thought I should first rewrite the system as x'(t)=A(t)x(t)

Write

[itex]x_{1}[/itex] = y --- >[itex]dx_{1}/dt[/itex] = dy/dt

[itex]x_{2}[/itex] = dy/dt --- > [itex]dx_{2}/dt[/itex] = d^2y/dt^2

dx_1/dt = [itex]\frac{1}{1+t^2}[/itex]

dx_2/dt = [itex]\frac{-n(n+1)}{1+t^2}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{2t)}{1+t^2}[/itex]

Picards theorem require the function to be lipschitz, which it seems to be.

Picards theorem also states that you should pick the interval according to

M = max |f(x)|

T_0 = min {T,δ/M}

Here is where I am stuck, assuming I correct so far.

M = max |f(x)|

T_0 = min {T,δ/M}

I think M is equal to n(n+1) but I have NO idea on how to compute T_0.

As always, all help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
saxen said:
dx_1/dt =x_2

dx_2/dt = [itex]\frac{-n(n+1)}{1+t^2}[/itex]x_1 + [itex]\frac{2t)}{1+t^2}[/itex] x_2

Some corrections to my current solution

1. What is the Legendre equation?

The Legendre equation is a second-order ordinary differential equation that is used to describe the behavior of many physical systems in mathematics and physics. It is named after the French mathematician Adrien-Marie Legendre who first studied it in the 18th century.

2. What is the significance of the Legendre equation?

The Legendre equation is significant because it is a fundamental equation in mathematical physics that has many applications in various fields such as quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and fluid dynamics. It also plays a crucial role in solving boundary value problems and finding solutions to other differential equations.

3. What is the Existence of Solution Legendre equation?

The Existence of Solution Legendre equation refers to the question of whether a solution exists for a given set of initial conditions. In other words, it is asking whether there is a solution that satisfies the Legendre equation and its specified boundary conditions.

4. How do you determine the existence of a solution for the Legendre equation?

The existence of a solution for the Legendre equation can be determined using various methods such as the Frobenius method, the power series method, and the Laplace transform method. These methods involve solving the equation and verifying if the obtained solution satisfies the given boundary conditions.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the Legendre equation?

Yes, the Legendre equation has many real-life applications, such as in predicting the motion of celestial bodies, modeling the flow of heat in a solid, and studying the behavior of quantum particles. It is also used in image processing, signal processing, and control systems.