Existence of Virtual Particles

In summary, according to the Copenhagen interpretation of QM, nothing can be said to exist until it is observed. However, virtual particles, which are often described as artifacts of perturbation theory, are considered to exist in the mathematics of quantum field theory and are necessary to describe the behavior of fields. These virtual particles are not observable in experiments, but their existence is supported by the success of QED and QCD. The concept of virtual particles also challenges traditional notions of particle behavior, as they can exist off-shell and contribute to the overall amplitude in quantum field theory.
Bose
As I understand it, according to the Copenhagen interpretation of QM, nothing can be said to exist until it is observed. I have also read that it is impossible to observe virtual particles in an experiment.

How is it then that virtual particles can be said to exist?

Physics news on Phys.org
...if a tree falls in the forest...

Do a search of this forum for "virtual particles" You will find much to read and consider--including the fact that virtual particles, almost always, are artifacts of perturbation theory. The "almost always" makes allowances for resonances.
Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

I would say that a description of what happens in terms of virtual particles is just one of many equivalent ways to describe the same thing. Virtual particles appear in the mathematics when a certain function is expanded in a series, kind of like the expansion exp(x)=1+x+x2/2+x3/6+..., but I don't think it would make sense to say that it's the individual terms in the series that describe what "actually" happens.

The statement "nothing can be said to exist until it is observed" is pretty strange. I guess you can say that, but in that case I'd rather treat that statement as a partial definition of what we mean by "existence" instead of as a statement about quantum mechanics. But I'd rather not say that at all. :smile:

We can not tell wether they exists or not I think, however we can look if QED, QCD etc makes sense with experiment, and they indeed do that.

Also one has find the real counterparts of the proposed virtual particles (Z, W +/- , gluons) so that was also a gret sucess for quantum field theory.

And I am not sure wheter 'Copenhagen interpretation of QM' applies to QFT or not.

My understanding of virtual particles is this:

In quantum field theory, you can describe the amplitude of a field by a path integral ( for a heuristic motivation of this path integral, maybe you've read the first chapter of Zee's QFT in a Nutshell, that's very nice ) You can't calculate this path integral exactly, but you have to expand it in a power series and integrate term by term. In each term, you will encounter so called propagators. In these propagators, you integrate over all possible momentum. And that's not what you're used to do; for example, you're used to that a particle obeys

[tex]
E^{2} - p^{2} = m^{2}
[/tex]

So these propagators appear to describe particles with energies lying "off-shell", allowing also energies which don't obey the formula above. The particles pop up during the traveling of the field from A to B. These particles are called virtual, because they don't have to obey the energy condition. But they certainly contribute to the amplitude !

1. What are virtual particles?

Virtual particles are hypothetical particles that are believed to exist for a very short period of time, typically less than a billionth of a second. They are not directly observable, but their effects can be detected through various experiments and calculations.

2. How do virtual particles come into existence?

Virtual particles are constantly popping in and out of existence due to the uncertainty principle of quantum mechanics. This principle states that there is a limit to how precisely we can know the position and momentum of a particle, and this uncertainty allows for the creation of virtual particles.

3. Do virtual particles have mass?

Yes, virtual particles have mass, but it is often different from the mass of their corresponding real particle. This is due to the fact that virtual particles do not follow the same laws of physics as real particles, and their mass can vary depending on the specific situation.

4. Can virtual particles become real particles?

Yes, virtual particles can become real particles under certain circumstances. For example, in the process of pair production, a virtual particle and its corresponding antiparticle can become real particles when enough energy is added to the system.

5. What is the significance of virtual particles in physics?

Virtual particles play a crucial role in many fundamental interactions in physics, such as the electromagnetic force and the strong nuclear force. They also help explain various phenomena, such as the Casimir effect and Hawking radiation. Additionally, the study of virtual particles has led to important advancements in our understanding of quantum mechanics and particle physics.