Exp(sin(t)) integral difficulty for 1st order ODE

In summary, the conversation discussed a model of tank fluid temperature based on the mixing of two streams with fixed temperatures and flowrates. The solution involves an integral that can be reduced using an integrating factor. The expression for the amplitude of the asymptotic oscillation of u(t) is related to a Bessel function, specifically the modified Bessel function of the first kind.
jcx3
A model of tank fluid temperature (fixed mass inside) based on the mixing of two streams, one hot and one cold, each with fixed temperature, the hot one a fixed flowrate and the cold one an oscillatory flowrate can be expressed as:

du/dt + [c1 + c2*(1+cos(t))]*u = c1

The solution can be solved easily with an integrating factor and written in terms of an integral. I am trying to derive an expression for the AMPLITUDE of the asymptotic oscillation of u(t)which comes down to reducing the integral:

Int[0,t] { exp[ - t' - k1*sin(k2*(t'-t)) ] } dt'

I saw a reference suggesting this could be expressed as a Bessel function, but I can't see how, and I'm having a very hard time finding ANY references to integrals of exponentials of trigonometric functions. ANY INSIGHT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you check out Wikipedia's Bessel function page, you can find the identity

[tex]e^{z\cos\theta} = I_0(z) + 2\sum_{n=1}^\infty I_n(z) \cos(n\theta)[/tex]
where [itex]I_n(z)[/itex] is the nth order modified Bessel function of the first kind. For your case, set [itex]\theta = \phi + \pi/2[/itex] to get it in terms of sine.

FAQ: Exp(sin(t)) integral difficulty for 1st order ODE

1. What is the meaning of "Exp(sin(t)) integral difficulty for 1st order ODE?"

"Exp(sin(t)) integral difficulty for 1st order ODE" refers to the level of difficulty in solving the integral of the exponential function with the sine function as its argument, in the context of a first-order ordinary differential equation (ODE). This type of integral can be particularly challenging due to its non-elementary nature, and often requires advanced mathematical techniques to solve.

2. Why is the "Exp(sin(t)) integral" difficult to solve?

The "Exp(sin(t)) integral" is difficult to solve because it is a non-elementary integral, meaning it cannot be expressed in terms of standard functions. This makes it challenging to find a closed-form solution, and often requires the use of numerical or approximate methods.

3. What are some strategies for solving the "Exp(sin(t)) integral difficulty for 1st order ODE?"

Some strategies for solving the "Exp(sin(t)) integral difficulty for 1st order ODE" include using substitution techniques, integration by parts, or applying series expansions. Additionally, utilizing computer software or numerical methods can also be helpful in finding an approximate solution.

4. Are there any real-world applications for the "Exp(sin(t)) integral difficulty for 1st order ODE?"

Yes, the "Exp(sin(t)) integral difficulty for 1st order ODE" has various applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. For example, it can be used to model the growth and decay of populations, radioactive decay, and other natural phenomena.

5. What are some resources for learning more about solving the "Exp(sin(t)) integral difficulty for 1st order ODE?"

There are many resources available for learning more about solving the "Exp(sin(t)) integral difficulty for 1st order ODE." This includes textbooks on differential equations and calculus, online tutorials and videos, and academic articles on the topic. Consulting a mathematics or physics professor or tutor can also be helpful in understanding this concept further.