Expanding Universe - Could It Be Rotating?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of the universe rotating instead of expanding and the implications of this idea. It also mentions the Goedel "Rotating" universe, which is a valid solution to the equations of General Relativity but not a realistic model. The idea of a center of the universe is also brought up, with one participant questioning the problem with this concept and the other mentioning the cosmological principle and the belief that the universe is isotropic. The conversation ends with the mention of the unknown effects on General Relativity if the universe did have a center.
zuz
Instead of expanding, could the universe be rotating? Everything rotates. Atoms, solar systems, galaxys. Could it be that we just can't see enough of the universe to see it's rotation?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
zuz said:
Instead of expanding, could the universe be rotating? Everything rotates. Atoms, solar systems, galaxys. Could it be that we just can't see enough of the universe to see it's rotation?
And just what do you think it is rotating AROUND? Do you understand the implications of contending that the universe has a center?

zuz said:

That would not look the same as our present universe does. It would not generate the same redshifts, CMB patterns, galaxy distributions, etc.

zuz said:

There's the Goedel "Rotating" universe. E.g.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gödel_metric

Likes Klystron and TEFLing
@zuz it's important to understand that this is merely a valid solution to the equations of General Relativity, and not a realistic model. Per the wiki link given by PeroK:

Besides rotating, this model exhibits no Hubble expansion, so it is not a realistic model of the universe in which we live, but can be taken as illustrating an alternative universe, which would in principle be allowed by general relativity (if one admits the legitimacy of a nonzero cosmological constant).

Likes PeroK and TEFLing
I guess I don't understand the implications of a center of the universe. That's why I asked the question. What's the problem?

zuz said:
I guess I don't understand the implications of a center of the universe. That's why I asked the question. What's the problem?
Google "Cosmological Principle"

zuz said:

I believe it would go against the idea that the universe is isotropic. That is, we currently believe that the universe is roughly the same in all directions. We don't find large variations in galactic densities or radiation just by looking at a different part of the universe (note that I'm referring to the universe at the largest scales. We obviously find extreme variations at the galactic scale and below). Observations so far have supported the view that the universe is isotropic and homogeneous at the largest scales, which goes against having a center.

Not only that, but I don't know if the universe can have a center and still obey General Relativity, or what it would look like if it can.

1. What evidence supports the idea that the universe is expanding and possibly rotating?

One of the key pieces of evidence for an expanding universe is the observation of redshift in light from distant galaxies. This indicates that these galaxies are moving away from us, which is consistent with an expanding universe. Additionally, the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is the leftover radiation from the Big Bang, also supports the idea of an expanding universe. Recent studies have also suggested that the distribution of galaxies in the universe may be evidence of a rotating universe.

2. How does the expansion of the universe relate to the concept of a rotating universe?

The expansion of the universe and the rotation of the universe are two separate phenomena. The expansion of the universe refers to the overall increase in the distance between galaxies, while the rotation of the universe refers to the spinning motion of the entire universe. Some theories suggest that the expansion of the universe may be causing the rotation, while others propose that it is a separate, independent motion.

3. Is there any physical evidence for a rotating universe?

At this time, there is no direct physical evidence for a rotating universe. However, there have been observations of the distribution of galaxies in the universe that suggest a possible rotation. Additionally, some theories, such as the "cosmic string theory," propose that the universe may have a net angular momentum, which could indicate a rotation.

4. What are the implications of a rotating universe?

If the universe is indeed rotating, it could have significant implications for our understanding of its origins and evolution. It could also affect our understanding of the laws of physics and the formation of structures in the universe. Additionally, a rotating universe could potentially provide an explanation for some cosmological mysteries, such as the uneven distribution of matter and the expansion of the universe.

5. How do scientists study the possibility of a rotating universe?

Scientists study the possibility of a rotating universe through various methods, including observations of the distribution and motion of galaxies, studying the cosmic microwave background radiation, and testing theories and models that incorporate a rotating universe. Additionally, experiments such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) may provide insight into the fundamental laws of physics that could help determine whether the universe is rotating or not.