Expectation value of an operator (not its corresponding observable value)

In summary, you should use abstract bra-ket notation when writing equations in order to avoid confusion.
v0id
1. Problem statement
This isn't a homework question itself, but is related to one. More specifically, I'm computing the time-derivative of [tex]\langle x \rangle[/tex] using the correspondence principle. One side simplifies to [tex]\left\langle \frac{\hat{p}}{m} \right\rangle[/tex], but what is the physical meaning of this? How does one compute the expectation value of an operator? The concept is alien to me.

Homework Equations

[tex]\langle Q \rangle = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\Psi^* \hat{Q} \Psi \; dx[/tex]
[tex]\langle \hat{Q} \rangle = ?[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
The expectation value of an operator A in a pure quantum state [itex] |\psi\rangle [/itex] is the complex number

[tex] \langle A\rangle_{|\psi\rangle} =\langle \psi|A|\psi\rangle [/tex]

dextercioby said:
The expectation value of an operator A in a pure quantum state [itex] |\psi\rangle [/itex] is the complex number

[tex] \langle A\rangle_{|\psi\rangle} =\langle \psi|A|\psi\rangle [/tex]

Well yes, but that's simply the generalized form of the first equation I posted. So what you're saying is that they are the same? [tex]\left\langle \frac{\hat{p}}{m} \right\rangle = m^{-1}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\Psi^*\left(-i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\right)\Psi \; dx[/tex]?

That is correct. The generalization doesn't single out the (rigged) Hilbert space. That's the advantage of using abstract bra-ket notation.

That makes sense. I mistakenly thought there is a difference between [tex]\langle Q \rangle[/tex] and [tex]\langle \hat{Q} \rangle[/tex], but that may have resulted from an abuse of notation.

Thanks a lot, dextercioby.

Actually, what is difference between <Q> and <Q_hat> ?

Read the three posts above your post, again. The OP and dextercioby came to the conclusion that there was no difference between the two. The OP's confusion resulted from an abuse or misuse of the notation involved.

Also, this thread is almost 5 years old! If you still have questions on this topic, please start a new thread.

1. What is the expectation value of an operator?

The expectation value of an operator is the average or expected value of the results obtained from measuring a physical quantity using that operator.

2. How is the expectation value of an operator calculated?

The expectation value of an operator is calculated by taking the inner product of the eigenstates of the operator with their corresponding eigenvalues.

3. What is the significance of the expectation value of an operator?

The expectation value of an operator is significant because it represents the most probable outcome of a measurement and provides information about the overall behavior of a quantum system.

4. Can the expectation value of an operator be negative?

Yes, the expectation value of an operator can be negative. This means that the measurement outcomes are more likely to be negative than positive.

5. How does the uncertainty principle relate to the expectation value of an operator?

The uncertainty principle states that the product of the uncertainties in the position and momentum of a particle cannot be smaller than a certain value. The expectation value of an operator can be used to calculate the uncertainty in a measurement, and the uncertainty principle places restrictions on the minimum value of this uncertainty.