Expectation Value: My Understanding vs. Prof.

In summary: So, <H> = <a|H|a> = <a|I|a> = 1. Then, you can use the second equation to show that <H> = <a|H|a>/<a|a> = 1. In summary, there is a discrepancy between the two formulas used for calculating the expectation value of an observable H for a state |a>, one assuming a normalized vector and the other not. The second equation can be derived from the first by considering the expectation value of the identity operator. The second equation is necessary when dealing with a general vector in hilbert space that may not be normalized.
dEdt
My understanding was that the expectation value of an observable H for a state |a> is just <a|H|a>. But in a homework problem, my prof. used <H> = <a|H|a>/<a|a>. I'm a little confused by the discrepancy, why the discrepancy?

Physics news on Phys.org
The first formula assumes a ray(a vector of norm 1). The second one does not.

How do you derive the second equation then?

And what's the point of discussing the expectation value of a state if its norm isn't 1 (ie isn't physical)?

Are you dealing with variation principle (method) of QM ?
Variation Principle : the expectation value of any hermitain operator w.r.t. any vector in hilbert space is larger than the smallest eigenvalue of that hermitain operator.
how given any hermitain operator H, chossing any state |a> will give the expectation value of H if (1) if |a> normalized, use the first equation
(2) if |a> is not normalized or don't know if it is normalized ( that's the general vector in hilbert space. then use the second equation.

dEdt said:
How do you derive the second equation then?

You derive the first equation from the second. Why the second? Because the expectation value of the identity operator H=I (eigenvalue 1 and every nonzero vector is an eigenvector) should be 1.

FAQ: Expectation Value: My Understanding vs. Prof.

1. What is the concept of Expectation Value in science?

The Expectation Value is a mathematical concept used in science to calculate the average value of a physical quantity or property in a given system or experiment. It represents the most probable outcome of a measurement or observation, taking into account all possible outcomes and their respective probabilities.

2. How is Expectation Value different from actual measurements?

Expectation Value is a theoretical concept that represents the average value of a physical quantity, while actual measurements represent the specific values obtained in a particular experiment or observation. Expectation Value takes into account all possible outcomes, while actual measurements can only reflect the specific outcome of a single trial.

3. How is Expectation Value calculated?

The calculation of Expectation Value involves multiplying each possible outcome of a measurement or observation by its respective probability, and then summing all these products. The resulting value represents the average or most probable outcome of the measurement or observation.

4. What is the significance of Expectation Value in scientific research?

Expectation Value is a fundamental concept in statistics and probability theory, and is widely used in scientific research to make predictions and draw conclusions based on data. It allows scientists to estimate the most probable outcome of a measurement or observation, and to determine the reliability of their results.

5. Can Expectation Value be applied to all physical quantities?

Yes, Expectation Value can be applied to any physical quantity that can be measured or observed. It is a universal concept that is used in various fields of science, including physics, chemistry, biology, and economics, to name a few.

Back