Expectation values must be real?

In summary, all expectation values must be real because they are weighted averages of possible measurement outcomes and the associated operators are self-adjoint, resulting in real eigenvalues. If an imaginary value is obtained, it is likely a mistake and the calculation should be redone. The presence of an "i" in the operator can be eliminated through the application of d/dx to exp(ix), unless unitarity is violated. However, even then, a purely imaginary answer would not be obtained.
pivoxa15
Is it true that all expectation values must be real? So if I get an imaginary value, does it mean I made a mistake? Or it doesn't matter and I can just take the absolute value of the expectation?

The momentum operator has an 'i' in it. But after doing, Psi*[P]Psi, I have an expression with 'i' which means I am left with an imaginary expectation value? What should I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
pivoxa15 said:
Is it true that all expectation values must be real?
Absolutely. They are weighted averages over possible measurement outcomes. The outcomes are real, the weights (probabilities) are real, so the expectation value has to be real. By the way, this is why the operators associated with observables are self-adjoint. The eigenvalues of operators associated with observables are the possible outcomes of measurements. And eigenvalues of self-adjoint operators are real. See how things hang together?
So if I get an imaginary value, does it mean I made a mistake?
Obviously.

I would say that with high probability, you need to go back and redo your calculation.

The "i" in the operator should get eliminated by an i that appears when you apply d/dx to something that looks like exp(ix).

The only time you might legitimately get a complex answer to something like this is when you are violating unitarity (if I recall correctly). That means that probability isn't being conserved, so your problem might involve a radioactive decay. But even then, you won't get a purely imaginary answer.

By the way, there is a pretty good probability that this discussion will get banished to homework land. The basic idea is that if it's not interesting enough to make the local experts call each other names, then it must be homework.

Carl

Last edited:
CarlB said:
By the way, there is a pretty good probability that this discussion will get banished to homework land. The basic idea is that if it's not interesting enough to make the local experts call each other names, then it must be homework.
Carl

HAHA; I like the way you put it!

CarlB said:
The basic idea is that if it's not interesting enough to make the local experts call each other names, then it must be homework.
And if it's interesting enough, it may get banished to the philosophy forum! :biggrin:

TriTertButoxy said:
HAHA; I like the way you put it!

Yup me too! Anyway check your calculations (as already pointed out...)

1. What are expectation values in science?

Expectation values in science refer to the average value of a measurement or quantity that is expected to be obtained in a particular experiment or system. They are calculated using probability distributions and can provide insight into the behavior of a system.

2. Why must expectation values be real?

Expectation values must be real because they represent physical quantities that can be measured and observed in the real world. In order for a physical measurement to have meaning, it must have a real value.

3. How are expectation values calculated?

Expectation values are calculated by multiplying the possible values of a quantity by their corresponding probabilities and then summing them together. This is known as the weighted average and is a common method used in statistics and quantum mechanics.

4. Can expectation values be negative?

Yes, expectation values can be negative. This can occur when the probabilities of obtaining a certain value are negative or when the values themselves are negative. It is important to note that the sign of an expectation value does not affect its physical significance.

5. How are expectation values used in science?

Expectation values are used in science to make predictions about the behavior of a system or to compare theoretical models with experimental data. They can also help to identify patterns or trends in a set of data and provide a quantitative measure of uncertainty.