Experiment using a potentiometer

In summary, the experiment is trying to study the characteristics of a light bulb by varying the voltage across it. The first part of the experiment was successful, but the second part was tricky because the rheostat was not working. The ammeter was then used to measure the current drawn by the voltmeter, but it was difficult to find a good position for it. If the ammeter is still functional, the experiment is done.
Yes and this is what I have as per the schematic but it's not working! :H
Even if I replace the ammeter with a multimeter with the same connections i.e. in series, absolutely nothing happens! Our objective is to get the current through just the voltmeter.

What if this shows up in the A'level practical exam and this is a part of the question, I can't just ignore it and move on.

Attachments

• 14696950_10154568598423838_797958449_n.jpg
    14696950_10154568598423838_797958449_n.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 484
Physics news on Phys.org
Taniaz said:
Yes and this is what I have as per the schematic but it's not working! :H
Even if I replace the ammeter with a multimeter with the same connections i.e. in series, absolutely nothing happens! Our objective is to get the current through just the voltmeter.

What if this shows up in the A'level practical exam and this is a part of the question, I can't just ignore it and move on.

No fear little buddy..No fear...lemme look at it a bit later this afternoon...I must go teach now..

A third VM would be great to check Volt measurements...It would really help a lot iffa' ya' had an extra.

When is you exam? Whats our drop dead time?

Taniaz said:
See that's the thing, with a series connection as in the picture in post 25 registers nothing at all. The variable resistor is being used as a potential divider so two connections are made to the power supply and one connection from the wiper to the voltmeter.

Edit...I see what I missed..sorry...

Electron Spin said:
I do not see a connection coming from the wiper? I'm I going blind?:oldconfused::oldsurprised:

The wiper is connected to one terminal of the ammeter and the other terminal of the ammeter is connected to the voltmeter.

I do not see a load of any kind.

I see P/S, two meters, a variable pot, and some connect wires...what are you using for a load?
upload_2016-10-11_13-42-48-png.107292.png
The round symbol in the left of the diagram..

We must have a load or this thing will not work...Ohhh Noooo!

The first part of the experiment said to use a bulb then they asked us to remove the bulb and just measure the current through the voltmeter so that we could subtract it from the reading we got for the bulb for accuracy.

Taniaz said:
The wiper is connected to one terminal of the ammeter and the other terminal of the ammeter is connected to the voltmeter.

And, both meters must be connected to a load...The ammeter in series and the Voltmeter in parallel.

Electron Spin said:
And, both meters must be connected to a load...The ammeter in series and the Voltmeter in parallel.
Yes they are in the first part of the experiment, then they ask us to remove the load and just measure the current through the voltmeter.

Taniaz said:
The first part of the experiment said to use a bulb then they asked us to remove the bulb and just measure the current through the voltmeter so that we could subtract it from the reading we got for the bulb for accuracy.
I'm sorry I missed that... That current would be so small as not to be relevant...sounds like a bad procedure...Your instructor is going to know that the internal resistance of a voltmeter is so high as to draw just about zero amps...Its called loading effect, btw...I know what this experiment is trying to show..Ohm's law relations and maybe loading effect of different meters..

The meter "loading affect" ,I think is beyond the scope of this level...

This experiment was on the characteristic of a filament lamp, and the other one similar to this was the characteristic of a semiconducting diode.

Just one question, we are using an ammeter in both experiments, would a milli-Ammeter be better?

Taniaz said:
Yes they are in the first part of the experiment, then they ask us to remove the load and just measure the current through the voltmeter.
OK! Well if that's the case..A a good meter (current) ,you will read very little to nothing! I can tell you that..

The point of the experiment is to have you realize that current meters have very low internal resistances so the reading will be as accurate as possible..and that volt meters have very, very high internal resistances as not to load down the circuit..That I can promise you.

In the ans to the experiment just mention when you tried measuring the current w/o a load it was near zero, if not zero..That's what they want u to realize...

Taniaz said:
This experiment was on the characteristic of a filament lamp, and the other one similar to this was the characteristic of a semiconducting diode.

For diodes going into conduction they call it conduction or avalance (very non-linear)..They avalance into conduction where's a "filament" lamp will have a more linear conduction rate..but will have a degree of nonlinearity depending on the composition of the filament heating up.

There are good avalanches and there are bad avalanches..
Taniaz said:
Just one question, we are using an ammeter in both experiments, would a milli-Ammeter be better?

Generally, a stand alone meter, with a single designed function is better in all respects than an all- purpose multimeter, except versatility...

Electron Spin said:
For diodes going into conduction they call it avalance (very non-linear)..They avalance into conduction where's a "filament" lamp will have a more linear conduction rate..but will have a degree of nonlinearity depending on the composition of the filament heating up.Generally, a stand alone meter is better in all respects, except versatility of a multimeter.

We don't have a milli-Ammeter and the diode currents are really small aren't they? Uptil 0.7 V at least?

Taniaz said:
We don't have a milli-Ammeter and the diode currents are really small aren't they? Uptil 0.7 V at least?

The term mult-ammeter is confusing..a multi-Ammeter to me is a stand alone ammeter that has adjustable ranges/sensitives but only measure current or electron flow..

Generally there are two types of diodes..The silicon diode which tends to conduct when about 0.7 volts of forward bias in applied and the Germanium diode which takes about 0.3 volts of forward bias to conduct.

Silicon's are use in P/S for rectification and such, whereas Germanium are used in small signal applications, generally speaking that is..

Also, if you forward bias a diode into conduction, you better have a series current limiting resistor or you will burn up the diode..

An example...All LED readouts have current limiting resistors in series w/ each diode somewhere in the circuit...

OK I just noticed the light buld is the load..a neon gas filled nixie bulb? ipid me! The schematic is showing a gas filled nixie tube bulb..are you using a filament bub
Electron Spin said:
I do not see a load of any kind.

I see P/S, two meters, a variable pot, and some connect wires...what are you using for a load?
upload_2016-10-11_13-42-48-png.107292.png
The round symbol in the left of the diagram..

We must have a load or this thing will not work...Ohhh Noooo!
SORRY! the "mixer" or round symbol is the load..got it...

A bit slow today...

Taniaz said:

A milli--ammeter is going to be 1000 times more sensitive than a meter with a full deflection of 1 ampere ..
But that is is not relevant here..I'm sure hundreds of students have used this same stuff
many times...I think the instructor is just trying to make u guys realize that a current meter has a very low resistance and a voltmeter has a very high resistance as not to upset the over all accuracy of the readings through or across the load.

Ok thank you :) I'll try again tomorrow and see how I get on.

.....redundant post

Taniaz said:
Ok thank you :) I'll try again tomorrow and see how I get on.
I'll be standing by...Gud luck!

Last edited:
A closeup photo of just the blue CE multimeter will help.
That way we can instruct you how to use it to measure the current.
Anyway you should connect it just like the analogue one like I showed you.
Its black wire should be in the COM socket and it should be switched for DC (milli) amps.

Likes Electron Spin
Hello, so for the part with the bulb I disconnected the analogue ammeter and voltmeter and replaced them with digital multimeter.

The multimeter measuring the current was connected in series and the one measuring the voltage was connected in parallel.

I then disconnected the connections to the bulb and just tried to measure the current through the multimeter which was acting as the voltmeter.
The leads to the multimeter acting as the ammeter were connected to the 10 A connection and the ground.
The leads to the multimeter acting as the voltmeter were connected to the VΩmA connection and the ground. (I don't have a picture to go with this at the moment).

When I'd connect both meters to the 10 A connection, I'd get a reading on the multimeter acting as an ammeter and when I'd connect the multimeter acting as a voltmeter to VΩmA, it would give me a voltage but the multimeter acting as the ammeter would stop working.

The voltmeter has a very large resistance, so when you insert it the current would go way down creating the impression that the ammeter stopped working, but in fact the reading is way smaller so that you need to wire and put it on a much smaller scale setting. It is in fact dangerous to insert just the ammeter since it is creating a short circuit so that a part of the pentiometer is bypassed and much more current is drawn from the power supply, although it seems that the power supply has a reset button which would pop if you draw to much current from it.

We tried setting it to mA and micro-amps as well but it still showed 0. Yes the power supply does have a reset button, it usually resets when the wiper is allowing maximum current to go through.

It is set for direct current and not alternating current - assuming you are operating DC?
What make/model is is?
Also in this photo of yours you have to swop the red and black wires plugged into the ammeter around.
potentiometer light bulb measurements.jpg

Last edited: