Experiment with high voltage that can show arcs / stun human

In summary, the conversation revolves around experimenting with high voltage and modifying an electric swatter. The speaker is interested in changing the rectifier to a full wave rectifier and adding more capacitors for increased sparks. They are also confused by the presence of both AC and DC voltage. However, others in the conversation advise against experimenting with high voltage for safety reasons and suggest looking into Tesla coils instead. The conversation is eventually locked due to the nature of the topic.
leonar
I'm very interested in Experiment with high voltage that can show arcs.
I also like to modify my swatter ( electric racket to kill mosquito/ flies), it is made in china.

About the swatter:
-It has only one diode at the secondary winding of the trafo, ithink this is for rectifying the ac that produce by the trafo and make dc so the power can be stored in the huge capasitor. But ithink the rectifier is not good enough, it's half wave rectifier. How if we change it to full wave rectifier with diode bridge?

-I've measured the voltage of this swater. I get about 400 volt DC when i use DC measuring with my multitester, but when i measure in ac i get about 1000 volt ac. Can anybody explain this? Why there is ac and dc volt?

-There's huge capacitor in the secondary winding at the trafo. This ceramic caps add more sparks when we short the iron at the racket. Do you know about the capacity and the working voltage of this huge caps? I think it's a good idea to add more caps like this and parallel them with this caps to add more sparks

Engineering news on Phys.org
leonar said:
-I've measured the voltage of this swater. I get about 400 volt DC when i use DC measuring with my multitester, but when i measure in ac i get about 1000 volt ac. Can anybody explain this? Why there is ac and dc volt?

Sorry I can't help you with more, but if you are rectifying the transformer signal you will get a DC value always (I assume you are confused why there is a DC voltage). DC in the frequency spectrum corresponds to the average value of the AC voltage, so naturally a rectified signal will have some nonzero average value.

Anyone can help me please?

leonar, we are not going to help you experiment with building your own stun gun for humans. Besides the danger to yourself, working with high voltages and obviously not understanding the basics of electricity and electrical safety, there is the issue of what you intend to do with it.

A better approach if you just want big pretty arcs is to look at Tesla coils:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_coil

You can get help with many things here on the PF, but helping you to make weapons, even if it's just for fooling around, that is something that we do not do.

Thread locked.

1. How can high voltage arcs be created in an experiment?

High voltage arcs can be created by passing a high voltage current through a conductive medium, such as air, with a large enough potential difference to overcome the resistance of the medium. This can be achieved using a high voltage power supply or a Tesla coil.

2. Is it safe to conduct an experiment with high voltage arcs?

No, it is not safe to conduct an experiment with high voltage arcs without proper precautions and safety measures in place. High voltage electricity can be extremely dangerous and can cause serious injuries or death. It is important to follow all safety guidelines and use appropriate protective gear when working with high voltage electricity.

3. How can high voltage arcs potentially stun a human?

When a human comes into contact with a high voltage arc, the electricity can pass through their body and disrupt the normal functioning of their nervous system. This can cause muscle contractions, paralysis, and even cardiac arrest. In some cases, the shock from a high voltage arc can be fatal.

4. What are some precautions that should be taken when conducting an experiment with high voltage arcs?

Some precautions that should be taken when conducting an experiment with high voltage arcs include wearing appropriate protective gear such as gloves, goggles, and a lab coat, ensuring proper grounding of all equipment, and having a fire extinguisher nearby in case of any accidents. It is also important to have a trained and experienced person supervise the experiment.

5. Can high voltage arcs be used for any practical applications?

Yes, high voltage arcs can be used in various practical applications such as in neon signs, fluorescent lights, and some medical equipment. They can also be used for welding, cutting, and other industrial processes. However, it is important to use them safely and responsibly to avoid any potential hazards.