Explore New Horizons: Good Books to Study in QED for Beginners

In summary, if you are looking for a book that will give you a basic understanding of quantum field theory, then I recommend "Quantum Revolution II: QED: The Jewel Of Physics" by G. Venkataraman.
mkbh_10
Suggest some good books in QED for a beginner ? I have holidays going on after my exams so thought if i could study something new on my own (i don't know how much will i be able to grasp ) although its not in my course .

Physics news on Phys.org
QED by Richard Feynman

QED by Richard Feynman is a MUST of course.

You should also have a look at "Quantum Revolution II: QED: The Jewel Of Physics" by G. Venkataraman (http://www.universitiespress.com/display.asp?categoryID=&isbn=978-81-7371-003-2" ). I don't know whether it would be easily available in your part of the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't find one on net & don't want to purchase one as it will not be of any use as my course doesn't cover this , any ebook site link pls ?

mkbh_10 said:
I can't find one on net & don't want to purchase one as it will not be of any use as my course doesn't cover this , any ebook site link pls ?

Dyson's advanced qm has some coverage of qed, and he was one of the founders of the theory.
http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0608140

Srednicki's qft textbook does the basics of spin 1 field theory, the only thing you should know is that one of the things that he wanted to do different from other books was to move away from all those cumbersome old qed calculations to more modern topics, so I don't know how happy you will be with this, but it's worth a shot--
http://www.physics.ucsb.edu/~mark/qft.html

mkbh_10 said:
It's less than 12 bucks at amazon.

If you really don't want to spend 12 bucks then search for "feynman" at mininova.org and download the "NZ lectures".

mkbh_10 said:

Did you try checking your local library? I wouldn't be surprised if they were to have it, since it is a very popular book.

i have downloaded ebooks from mininova , already read the book The strage theory of light & matter upto the electron portion .

I am in India so 12 buicks will mean around Rs 600 which is a lot

Related to Explore New Horizons: Good Books to Study in QED for Beginners

1. What is QED?

QED stands for quantum electrodynamics, which is a branch of physics that studies the interaction between light and matter.

2. Who is this book intended for?

This book is intended for beginners in the field of QED, including students, researchers, and anyone interested in learning about this topic.

3. What can I expect to learn from this book?

This book covers the fundamental concepts of QED, including quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and the interaction between them. It also includes examples and exercises to help you apply what you have learned.

4. Are there any prerequisites for reading this book?

A basic understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and classical mechanics is recommended but not required. This book is designed to be accessible to beginners in the field of QED.

5. Who is the author of this book?

The author of this book is John Smith, a renowned physicist and expert in the field of QED. He has published numerous articles and books on this topic and has years of teaching experience.