Exploring Absolute Zero - Thermodynamic Implications

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of absolute zero and its implications on a closed system. The group debates whether absolute zero is a state of infinite entropy or if it has a minimum energy and no movement. They also discuss the connection between time and absolute zero. Ultimately, the group agrees that absolute zero is a limit that is impossible to reach and that there is nothing mysterious about it. The conversation ends with a request for further clarification on the topic.
BosonJaw
Hello all

This question is probably a bit ridiculous, but here goes:

Hypothetically, If any given closed system has obtained absolute zero temp, does any media (time, gravity, events)occur within? Thermodynamically, Wouldn't this be a state of infinite entropy? Can anyone describe such a system?

Thanks

BTW feel free to enlighten me on the laws of absolute zero, for all I know, I could have just asked, does 1 + 1 = an orange peel

Physics news on Phys.org
Absolute zero is limit which is impossible to reach for a real system.
Also, note that absolute zero does not imply zero energy since you still have the zero point energy.
In many cases we can model real systems quite well without taking the temperature into consideration (i.e. we assume zero temperature) and nothing dramatic happens. This is a valid approximation assuming the temperature (or to be more precise, kB*T)is much smaller than the typical energies of the problem (e.g. much smaller than the bandgap of a semiconductor, or the gap in a superconductor). Hence, in most cases it won't matter if the system is at zero K or just very small. There is nothing "mysterious" about zero temperature.

If am not qute sure why you think the entropy would go to infinty; entropy is essentially a measure of disorder and is only indirectly connected to temperature (there are measures of entropy that are not related to temperature at all, e.g. the von Neumann entropy).

BosonJaw said:
Thermodynamically, Wouldn't this be a state of infinite entropy?

Thermodynamically, it would be a state of zero entropy (or a constant entropy for non-degenerate systems).

The system will have a minimum energy, which is called the zero point energy. This is a quantum-mechanical effect. Classically, it should have had zero energy.

If nothing moves, including electrons, protons, neutrons, then nothing changes--no aging, no degradation, etc. When nothing changes we have no awareness of timing passing.

At absolute zero, nothing moves/changes, correct? All activity stops.

What do others think about this connection?

I guess I was thinking along these lines.

Thanks for the help.

Related to Exploring Absolute Zero - Thermodynamic Implications

What is absolute zero?

Absolute zero is the lowest possible temperature that can be achieved, where all thermal motion of atoms and molecules ceases. It is equivalent to 0 kelvin (K) or -273.15 degrees Celsius (°C).

How is absolute zero related to thermodynamics?

Absolute zero is a fundamental concept in thermodynamics, as it is the point at which a system has minimum internal energy. It is also used as a reference point for the Kelvin temperature scale, which is widely used in thermodynamics.

What are the implications of reaching absolute zero?

If absolute zero were to be achieved, it would have significant implications in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It would allow for a better understanding of the behavior of materials and the ability to create new materials with unique properties.

Has absolute zero ever been reached?

No, absolute zero has never been reached in a laboratory setting. However, scientists have been able to cool certain materials to within a fraction of a degree above absolute zero using techniques such as laser cooling and magnetic cooling.

What challenges are involved in exploring absolute zero?

Reaching absolute zero is a significant challenge due to the laws of thermodynamics, which state that it is impossible to reach absolute zero through a finite number of steps. Additionally, maintaining such low temperatures requires specialized equipment and techniques that are difficult to implement and maintain.