Exploring Career Paths for Physics Majors

In summary, most people think of taking physics to industrial work when pursuing a degree. However, this is not always the case. There are many high paying jobs available in academia or industry that are not in physics.
Rhine720
Just out of curiosity..When people talk about careers in physics why don't they ever take these in minds? Most people it seems to me think about taking physics to industrial work.

And are Goverment Labs and National Labs the same thing? If not why do people not thing about those either when pursuing physics degrees? I'm sure considering goverment, national lab, private lab,industry blahblah there will always be some place for a physicist to work.

If I'm correct skills that a physicist obtain and their sought after degrees can set them in high paying jobs/careers that may not be in physics.

I know I'm going to pursue physics so I'm hardly asking these convince or reinforce myself.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think people here do think about those things, but perhaps do not discuss them.

National Labs often refers to the DOE labs, e.g. Sandia, Los Alamos, Lawrence Livermore, Idaho, Argonne, Brookhaven, Oak Ridge, . . . . National Labs. Besides DOE, there are military labs, NASA centers/labs, NOAA centers/labs, and others.

I think the other thing is that most of the available jobs are either in industry or academia... the number of jobs available in the national labs is relatively small.

I could be totally wrong about this though.

I think http://sciencecareers.sciencemag.org/career_magazine/previous_issues/articles/1999_07_23/noDOI.12838650231875993964" is fairly relevant.
TMFKAN64 said:
I think the other thing is that most of the available jobs are either in industry or academia... the number of jobs available in the national labs is relatively small.

I could be totally wrong about this though.
I was under the impression that jobs in national labs were no more scarce than jobs in academia. Though it really does seem harder to find information on them. Would anyone like to clarify on this?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's harder to find information on jobs at military labs. The National labs all post job openings on there websites. Working for at a military lab can be very niche work, and the bureaucracy is through the roof and ridiculous. In the military labs you have a customer and that customer is the US military so your research has to be inline with there demands.

To find opportunities check out the NRC website. Find some research programs you are interested in and send out emails to the PI.

The US Nat'l Labs advertises their jobs like anyone else. If you read Physics Today, you'll often see those same jobs advertised there. This includes both staff position and postdocs.

Contrary to popular conception, the number of positions at a Nat'l Lab is actually quite small. Besides the fact that many of these positions are quite sought after, the Nat'l labs do not typically have a large workforce in the first place. Places such as Fermilab, Argonne, Brookhaven, etc... only APPEAR to have a large workforce, but many of the people you see there are "users", i.e. people from other institutions making use of the various facilities on these sites (such as the NSLS, RHIC, APS, etc..). So they are not really employees at those labs, but rather visitors.

Still, there ARE frequent job openings and advertisements. Unfortunately, they tend to get a lot of applicants, and so they can usually choose the top tier candidates most of the time.

Zz.

Likes Delong

1. What career options are available for physics majors?

Physics majors have a wide range of career options in various industries such as research and development, engineering, finance, education, and technology. Some common job titles for physics majors include physicist, engineer, data analyst, science writer, and teacher.

2. What skills do physics majors develop that are applicable to different career paths?

Physics majors develop strong analytical, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills. They also gain proficiency in mathematics, data analysis, and computer programming. These skills are highly transferable and can be applied to a variety of careers in both scientific and non-scientific fields.

3. How can I determine which career path is best for me as a physics major?

There are several ways to explore and determine which career path is best for you as a physics major. You can start by researching different industries and job roles that align with your interests and skills. You can also speak to professionals in various fields and ask for advice or shadow them to get a better understanding of their job duties and responsibilities.

4. Do I need a graduate degree to pursue a career in physics?

While some career paths in physics may require a graduate degree, there are also entry-level positions available for physics majors with a bachelor's degree. It ultimately depends on your career goals and the specific job requirements. It's always a good idea to research the job market and industry trends to determine if a graduate degree is necessary for your desired career path.

5. What resources are available to help me explore career paths as a physics major?

There are several resources available to help physics majors explore career paths, including career centers at universities, online job search websites, and professional organizations such as the American Physical Society. Additionally, attending career fairs, networking events, and informational interviews can also provide valuable insights and connections to potential career opportunities.