Exploring Complex Systems Physics: A Masters Student's Guide

In summary, a undergraduate student of engineering is considering pursuing a Master's degree in the physics department. They have explored research faculty and groups and identified three main fields: elementary particles, condensed matter, and non-linear or non-equilibrium systems/complex systems/biophysics. However, they do not fully understand the last field and are seeking clarification on its focus and how it differs from condensed matter physics. They also mention that this field includes research on both molecular and quantum levels.
Quriousics
I am a undergraduate student of engineering and I'm planning to go for Master's in physics department.
I've watched some websites of research faculty or groups and I think (correct me if I'm wrong ;) there are main theoretical and experimental fields of these:
- Elementary particles
- Condensed matter
- Non-linear or non-equilibrium systems/complex systems/biophysics

I don't quite understand what the last field(Non-linear or non-equilibrium systems/complex systems/biophysics) is about...
I know that there are some researches in this field about complex systems of molecular level or bigger (i guess mainly biophysics?) but as i know of, there are also researches about quantum level of non-equilibrium or complex systems...
And there are researches about complex systems in fields of condensed matter like complex systems like many-body problem, strongly correlated systems, etc...

So, what is field of complex systems physics about?
and what are main differences between condensed matter physics and complex systems physics fields?
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Quri, :welcome:

Is it difficult for you to post the link ?
So far 'complex systems' to me is just a label someone attached to their activities.

1. What is the focus of "Exploring Complex Systems Physics: A Masters Student's Guide"?

The focus of this book is to provide a comprehensive guide for Masters students on the principles and applications of complex systems physics. It covers a wide range of topics, including nonlinear dynamics, chaos theory, network theory, and self-organization.

2. Is this book suitable for beginners in complex systems physics?

Yes, this book is designed to be accessible for students with a basic understanding of physics and mathematics. It provides a solid foundation in the fundamentals of complex systems physics and gradually builds upon them to more advanced topics.

3. Are there any practical examples included in the book?

Yes, this book includes numerous real-world examples and case studies to help students understand the concepts and their applications. These examples come from a variety of fields, such as biology, economics, and social sciences.

4. Does this book include any exercises or problem sets?

Yes, there are exercises and problem sets included at the end of each chapter to help students practice and reinforce their understanding of the material. Solutions to these exercises are also provided at the end of the book.

5. Is this book suitable for self-study or is it intended for classroom use?

This book can be used for both self-study and in a classroom setting. It is written in a clear and concise manner, making it easy for students to follow along on their own. However, it can also be used as a textbook for a course on complex systems physics.