Exploring Dark Energy: How Does it Affect Our Universe?

In summary: The "matter" in our universe is apparently not moving, but instead the space between the galaxies is expanding. New space is being created between the galaxies as a result.
FredrikJ
In popular science around 70% of the total energy in the universe is dark energy. I’m a little bit confused regarding what this energy does. Does it influence all matter with a pushing force to make the expansion of the universe accelerate or does it create new space time fabric?

I guess that it must be the latter because otherwise the energy will be restricted to pushing the galaxies apart from each other no faster than the speed of light.

If new space time fabric is created by this energy how do you calculate how much energy is needed? Do we know how to create new space time fabric and how much energy is needed?

Space news on Phys.org
It increases the expansion, so it contributes to "making more space between matter".
Not more spacetime, because spacetime is the whole thing that contains all time-dependence in it already.
FredrikJ said:
If new space time fabric is created by this energy how do you calculate how much energy is needed? Do we know how to create new space time fabric and how much energy is needed?
There is no energy value in Joule you could assign to this, and I don't see how you could explain that without going into details of general relativity. Both energy density and pressure influence the expansion of the universe, and the right relation between both give a contribution that accelerates expansion.

Mentor note: removed quote of deleted post

The simplest interpretation of the accelerated expansion is that there is a small, constant negative spacetime curvature (a.k.a. the cosmological constant, [itex]\Lambda[/itex]) that was present since the end of inflation. Normal matter and energy cause positive spacetime curvature, which has been overwhelming the cosmological constant for the first half of expansion history. Presently [itex]\Lambda[/itex]-curvature dominates, resulting in overall negative spacetime curvature. This causes accelerating expansion.

Just like the positive spacetime curvature caused by matter and radiation can be converted into an energy density, [itex]\Lambda[/itex] can be converted into an equivalent energy density. That's why it is usually given as a fractional part of critical energy density, i.e. [itex]\Omega_\Lambda \approx 0.7\Omega[/itex]. Critical energy density is reduced by expansion while [itex]\Lambda[/itex]-density remains constant, hence the fraction [itex]\Omega_\Lambda[/itex] increases over time.

PS: observation still favors a constant [itex]\Lambda[/itex], but it is possible that it is changing very slowly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't follow this. If the expansion was due to the curvatures in space time the matter should behave like it does in gravitational fields? That is, never exceed the speed of light, experience time dilation and so forth.
What I've heard in popular science is that the matter is almost stationary and that new space is created between the galaxies which makes them further and further apart from each other. Is that an incorrect picture?

FredrikJ said:
I don't follow this. If the expansion was due to the curvatures in space time the matter should behave like it does in gravitational fields? That is, never exceed the speed of light, experience time dilation and so forth.
That's correct. It doesn't
What I've heard in popular science is that the matter is almost stationary and that new space is created between the galaxies which makes them further and further apart from each other. Is that an incorrect picture?
That's the correct picture. There is no proper motion involved, things just get farther apart. The RECESSION velocity, which is not constrained, is about 3c for objects at the edge of our Observable Universe.

FredrikJ said:
If the expansion was due to the curvatures in space time the matter should behave like it does in gravitational fields?
The large scale gravitational potential is approximately homogeneous, i.e. we do not consider the localized potential wells caused by mass concentrations. Large scale positive spacetime curvature result in decelerating expansion and negative spacetime curvature in accelerating expansion. It does not tell us what originally have caused cosmic expansion. There are various theories for that, e.g inflation, but it is generally not considered as part of the LCDM cosmological model.

FredrikJ said:
And just to add one more clarification, NOTHING ever "experiences" time dilation. That's something that is seen by observers who are not at rest in the frame of an object or who are at a different gravitational potential.

FredrikJ said:

Because of the terminology that is often used, its often interpreted that 'space' is some physical thing that expands with the universe, or that 'new' space is created with expansion. That is not strictly true. Things do move further apart, as in the distance grows between them, but no new space is created between them. That 'space' already existed.

1. What is dark energy?

Dark energy is a mysterious force that makes up about 70% of the total energy in the universe. It is responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe and is thought to counteract the force of gravity.

2. How does dark energy affect our universe?

Dark energy is believed to play a crucial role in the evolution and fate of the universe. Its repulsive force is causing the expansion of the universe to accelerate, which means that the space between galaxies is increasing at an ever-increasing rate.

3. How is dark energy measured and studied?

Dark energy is difficult to directly observe, so scientists use various methods to study its effects. One method is through observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is leftover radiation from the early universe. Another method is through studying the distribution of galaxies and their movements.

4. What is the difference between dark energy and dark matter?

Although they both have "dark" in their names, dark energy and dark matter are two different things. Dark energy is a force that is causing the universe to expand at an accelerating rate, while dark matter is matter that does not interact with light and can only be detected through its gravitational effects.

5. What are the current theories and hypotheses about dark energy?

Scientists have proposed various theories and hypotheses to explain dark energy, but there is still much unknown about it. Some theories suggest that dark energy is a property of space itself, while others propose the existence of a new type of particle or field. Further research and observations are needed to better understand this elusive force.