Exploring Huygens' Principle and Diffraction Intensity

In summary, the photo shows a ripple tank image that demonstrates the shape of the wavefront and the intensity of the light.
jaumzaum
Hi. I was studying Huygens Principle and I learned that diffraction usually occurs more when the slit is comparable in size with the wavelength, and this image does not leave my head:
1595567399518.png

We can see that the "middle" part of the wavefront keeps traveling in the same direction, but the wavefront in the extremities starts to propagate as spheres. My question is, can we determine the intensity of some cross section of this "new" wavefront
A. in the middle
B. in the extremities

I'm having this questions because I was wondering why lasers are collimated, as the light leaves a small aperture. Is the aperture big enough so that no diffraction can be seen? But eventhough no diffraction can be seen, it still occur right? For example, if I am in a plane perpendicular to the beam, and the laser is in the vacuum, will I still be able to see the beam due to diffraction? What will be the intensity of the light seen?

Physics news on Phys.org
jaumzaum said:
For example, if I am in a plane perpendicular to the beam, and the laser is in the vacuum, will I still be able to see the beam due to diffraction?

No. You could just see the source.

jaumzaum said:
the light leaves a small aperture
Roughly how many wavelengths is the aperture? Is that actually a small number?

jaumzaum said:
Hi. I was studying Huygens Principle and I learned that diffraction usually occurs more when the slit is comparable in size with the wavelength, and this image does not leave my head:View attachment 266770

We can see that the "middle" part of the wavefront keeps traveling in the same direction, but the wavefront in the extremities starts to propagate as spheres. My question is, can we determine the intensity of some cross section of this "new" wavefront
A. in the middle
B. in the extremities

I'm having this questions because I was wondering why lasers are collimated, as the light leaves a small aperture. Is the aperture big enough so that no diffraction can be seen? But eventhough no diffraction can be seen, it still occur right? For example, if I am in a plane perpendicular to the beam, and the laser is in the vacuum, will I still be able to see the beam due to diffraction? What will be the intensity of the light seen?
This diagram is very misleading. The actual energy lying outside the central portion is very small. Close to the aperture we have a parallel beam, surrounded by some small blobs of energy. If you are a long way from the aperture, we see a central diverging beam surrounded with many lesser fringes. The first of these is roughly 1% of the intensity, the next 0.25% and then getting gradually less until when we get to 90 degrees from the beam the intensity is only 10^-5. If you look at the aperture from here I think you will see glowing edges, assuming your eye has a large aperture.
The laser beam diverges at small angle when measured at large distances and is surrounded by a succession of minor lobes as I have described. If the laser hits a screen we see the main lobe surrounded by circular fringes gradually fading away.

Likes jaumzaum
jaumzaum said:
I'm having this questions because I was wondering why lasers are collimated, as the light leaves a small aperture. Is the aperture big enough so that no diffraction can be seen?
I think this may be the 'nub' of your question. You start with that (good) diagram of diffraction through a fairly wide slot. That assumes uniform illumination across the slot and this photo of a ripple tank shows the same effect well.
1595627595400.png

It's a rare example of a really good ripple tank image. Someone went to a fair bit of trouble to get it right and posted it in Wikipedia and it not only shows the shape of the wavefront but also the amplitude. Much stronger along the middle than where it spreads out at the sides.

Moving on to using a laser in the equivalent light demonstration, an unmodified beam from a laser would (as yo say) only illuminate the middle portion and the original beam would be virtually untouched by the aperture. To get the equivalent result with light as with the ripple tank produced, you would need to spread the pencil beam out and then focus it at infinity so that the edges of the widened laser beam spread well out beyond the aperture.

I will make my usual remark about how straightforward it can be to consider Radio Antennae when trying to understand diffraction. The diagram below shows the pattern of a row of four sources, co-phased and a crude version of the infinite number of Huygens sources. The pattern is bidirectional in this case but , of course, all the light ends up in the rough direction of the incident beam. A wider array (more elements) produces a narrower beam. Filling in the gaps between the elements to, say λ/4 or λ/8 etc gets closer and closer to the Huygens infinite set of sources.

broadside.jpg

1. What is Huygens' Principle and how does it relate to diffraction intensity?

Huygens' Principle is a theory in physics that states every point on a wavefront can be considered as a source of secondary spherical wavelets. These secondary wavelets combine to form a new wavefront, allowing for the propagation of a wave. In the context of diffraction, Huygens' Principle explains how a wavefront passing through an aperture or obstacle will diffract and produce a diffraction pattern with varying intensity.

2. How does the size of the aperture or obstacle affect diffraction intensity?

The size of the aperture or obstacle plays a crucial role in determining the diffraction intensity. As the size of the aperture or obstacle decreases, the amount of diffraction increases and the intensity of the diffraction pattern becomes more spread out. Conversely, a larger aperture or obstacle will result in less diffraction and a more concentrated diffraction pattern.

3. What is the relationship between wavelength and diffraction intensity?

The wavelength of the wave also affects diffraction intensity. As the wavelength increases, the amount of diffraction decreases and the diffraction pattern becomes more concentrated. This is because longer wavelengths have a harder time diffracting around smaller obstacles, resulting in a more focused diffraction pattern.

4. How does the distance between the aperture or obstacle and the screen affect diffraction intensity?

The distance between the aperture or obstacle and the screen also plays a role in diffraction intensity. As the distance increases, the diffraction pattern becomes more spread out and the intensity decreases. This is because the wavefront has more time and space to diffract, resulting in a larger and less intense diffraction pattern.

5. Can diffraction intensity be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, diffraction intensity can be manipulated and controlled through various methods. One way is by changing the size of the aperture or obstacle, as discussed in question 2. Additionally, the use of lenses or mirrors can also manipulate diffraction intensity by focusing or spreading out the diffraction pattern. Other factors such as the type of wave and the medium it is passing through can also affect diffraction intensity.