Exploring Inductors in Electro-Magnetic Circuits

In summary, there is a set-up with two inductors, A-B and C-D, with a signal source and an open circuit. The current, i1, is given as a triangular wave and the voltage, v2, as a step wave for different time intervals. There is a negative sign involved in the relationship between voltage and current, indicating that the dots on the inductors should be placed diagonally.
EvLer
one more electro-magnetic question:
here's the set-up: two inductors, the A-B has a signal source hooked-up, C-D is open circuit.
Code:
->i1
A       C 
)    (    +
)    (    V2
)    (    -
B       D

i1 is given as a triangular wave, v2 as a step wave for:
0 < t < 0.5, i1 has negative slope below t-axis, v2=4;
0.5<t<1, i1 has positive slope below t-axis, v2 = -4;
1<t<1.5, i1 has positive slope above t-axis, v2 = 0

so, i clearly see that voltage is derivative of current and there is a negative sign involved, so the dots are placed diagonally?
If not, could you explain that as well?
Thanks in advance...

Physics news on Phys.org
solved

well... yeah, they should be on the opposite side, i think i got the idea...

I would like to first clarify that the dots in the circuit represent the polarity of the inductors, not the direction of current flow. The direction of current flow is determined by the direction of the voltage source and the polarity of the inductors.

In this set-up, the inductor A-B is connected to a signal source, while the inductor C-D is open circuit. This means that the current flowing through the inductor A-B will induce a voltage across the inductor C-D, but no current will flow through it.

Based on the given information, we can see that the current in i1 is given as a triangular wave, while the voltage in v2 is given as a step wave. This means that the voltage in v2 will change abruptly at specific time intervals, while the current in i1 will change gradually.

The relationship between voltage and current in an inductor is given by the equation V=Ldi/dt, where V is the voltage across the inductor, L is the inductance, and di/dt is the rate of change of current over time. This means that the voltage across the inductor is directly proportional to the rate of change of current.

In this set-up, we can see that when the current in i1 has a negative slope below the t-axis, the voltage in v2 is positive and has a value of 4. This means that the current is increasing at a constant rate, and the voltage across the inductor is also increasing at a constant rate. Similarly, when the current has a positive slope above the t-axis, the voltage in v2 is 0, indicating that the current is not changing and therefore there is no induced voltage across the inductor.

The negative sign in the equation V=Ldi/dt represents the direction of the induced voltage, which is opposite to the direction of the current. This is why the dots are placed diagonally in the circuit, to indicate the polarity of the inductors and the direction of the induced voltage.

I hope this explanation helps clarify your understanding of inductors in electro-magnetic circuits. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Thank you.

Related to Exploring Inductors in Electro-Magnetic Circuits

1. What is the purpose of an inductor in an electro-magnetic circuit?

An inductor is a passive electronic component that is used to store energy in the form of a magnetic field. In an electro-magnetic circuit, it is used to control the flow of current by resisting changes in current and storing energy.

2. How does an inductor affect the behavior of a circuit?

An inductor can affect the behavior of a circuit in several ways. It can cause a delay in the current flow, also known as inductive reactance, which can lead to a phase shift in the circuit. It can also filter out high-frequency signals, acting as a low-pass filter, and store energy in the form of a magnetic field.

3. What factors influence the inductance of an inductor?

The inductance of an inductor is influenced by its physical properties such as the number of turns, the cross-sectional area, and the material used for the core. It also depends on the shape and size of the inductor, as well as the presence of any nearby conductors or magnetic materials.

4. How do you calculate the inductance of an inductor?

The inductance of an inductor can be calculated using the formula L = μ0 * μr * N^2 * A / l, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, μr is the relative permeability of the core material, N is the number of turns, A is the cross-sectional area, and l is the length of the inductor.

5. What are some real-world applications of inductors in electro-magnetic circuits?

Inductors are commonly used in electrical systems to filter out high-frequency noise and improve the quality of the signal. They are also used in power supplies to smooth out the output voltage and in DC motors to control the speed and torque. Inductors are also an essential component in radio and communications systems.