Exploring Light with a DIY Spectroscope

In summary, the conversation is about building a spectroscope with a CD and finding ways to comfortably look at bright light sources through it. One suggestion is to use a narrower slit, but it results in a faint spectrum. Another suggestion is to point the bright lamp at a white wall and view it through the spectroscope, but any tint on the wall may alter the spectrum. An alternative is to tape a white paper to the wall instead.
DDesulgon
Hello,
I built myself a spectroscope with a CD (where I removed the coating), similar to this one:
With this I now want to look at light sources. However, some interesting lamps are a bit too bright to comfortably look directly into (through the spectroscope). Does anyone have an idea how to get around this problem?
Thanks!

Likes vanhees71
Science news on Phys.org
Maybe a narrower slit, which will also improve resolution. It is interesting to look at daylight, fluorescent lamps and the Sodium flame.

Likes vanhees71
Thanks for the answer! I have already tried a narrower slit, but in this case the spectrum also becomes quite faint. For me, a slit width of about 1 mm seems to be ideal.

Would it perhaps be a solution to point the bright lamp at a white wall, and look at the illuminated wall through the spectroscope? Or does this change the spectrum?

DDesulgon said:
Thanks for the answer! I have already tried a narrower slit, but in this case the spectrum also becomes quite faint. For me, a slit width of about 1 mm seems to be ideal.

Would it perhaps be a solution to point the bright lamp at a white wall, and look at the illuminated wall through the spectroscope? Or does this change the spectrum?
If the paint is truly white, then no. But any tint that is present will alter the spectral content of scattered light. An alternative to your (reasonable) idea is to tape a blank sheet of (white) paper to the wall.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is a spectroscope?

A spectroscope is a scientific instrument used to separate and analyze the different wavelengths of light emitted by a source. It works by using a prism or diffraction grating to split the light into its component colors, creating a spectrum.

2. How does a DIY spectroscope work?

A DIY spectroscope works in the same way as a professional spectroscope, but it is made using materials that are readily available and can be assembled at home. It typically uses a cardboard tube, a diffraction grating, and a small slit to create the spectrum.

3. What materials do I need to make a DIY spectroscope?

To make a DIY spectroscope, you will need a cardboard tube (such as a paper towel roll), a diffraction grating (available online or in some science supply stores), a small piece of aluminum foil, and a small slit made from black paper or tape.

4. What can I use a spectroscope for?

A spectroscope can be used for a variety of purposes, including identifying the chemical composition of a substance, studying the properties of different light sources, and analyzing the absorption or emission spectra of gases or liquids.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a spectroscope?

While a spectroscope is generally safe to use, it is important to avoid looking directly at a bright light source through the device. Also, be careful when handling the diffraction grating as it can be fragile and may have sharp edges.