Exploring Liminf and Limsup in Subset Sequences

• Thread starter SpaceWalrus
  • Start date
In summary, given a sequence of subsets, liminf A_n\subseteq limsup A_n . If there is no restriction on An, then you could set up a sequence: An = empty set for even n and An = whole space for odd n. However, if there is a restriction on An, then you could set up a sequence: An = empty set for even n and An = whole space for odd n, with infn containing supn.
SpaceWalrus
I have been told that given a sequence of subsets, liminf [itex] A_n\subseteq [/itex] limsup [itex] A_n [/itex]. I have spent some time trying to cook up such a sequence, but I can only ever show they are equal. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
If there is no restriction on An, then you could set up a sequence:
An = empty set for even n and An = whole space for odd n.

mathman said:
If there is no restriction on An, then you could set up a sequence:
An = empty set for even n and An = whole space for odd n.

I don't know if that one works. Note that

liminf [itex] A_n = A_1 \cup [A_1 \cap A_2] \cup [A_1 \cap A_2 \cap A_3] \dots = X \cup [X \cap \emptyset] \cup [X \cap \emptyset \cap X] \dots = X \cup \emptyset \cup \emptyset \dots = X, [/itex]

while

limsup[itex] A_n = A_1 \cap [A_1 \cup A_2] \cap [A_1 \cup A_2 \cup A_3] \dots = X\cap [X \cup \emptyset] \cap [X \cup \emptyset \cup X] \dots = X \cap X \cap X \dots = X. [/itex]

Hence they are equal.

I am a little confused by your definitions. My understanding is that limsup consists of all points which are in an infinite number of sets of the sequence, which would be the whole space. Liminf according to my understanding are those points which belong to all but a finite number of sets in the sequence, which would be none.

To use your expression I think you need to start with An (not A1) and then let n become infinite.

Last edited:
Yeah, I had the definition wrong. UGH! Thanks!

How can I prove that liminf of a sequence of events An is a subset of lim sup of An given n goes to infinity? I'm inexperienced in constructing proofs, so please do not be strict.

One way of getting there is to look at
supn = An∪An+1∪...
infn = An∩An+1∩...
supn contains infn

So let n become infinite and the relationship still holds.

Thank you, it's clear now.

Related to Exploring Liminf and Limsup in Subset Sequences

1. What is the definition of "Liminf subset of limsup"?

The liminf subset of limsup refers to a mathematical concept in analysis where the liminf (limit inferior) of a sequence is always less than or equal to the limsup (limit superior) of the same sequence. In other words, the smallest possible value that a sequence can approach is always less than or equal to the largest possible value that the sequence can approach.

2. How is "Liminf subset of limsup" used in real-world applications?

This concept is commonly used in various fields such as economics, physics, and engineering to analyze the behavior of systems or processes over time. It helps to identify the minimum and maximum bounds of a sequence, which can be useful in predicting future trends or making decisions based on past data.

3. Can the liminf subset of limsup be equal to the limsup subset of liminf?

No, it is not possible for the liminf subset of limsup to be equal to the limsup subset of liminf. This is because the liminf and limsup are two distinct mathematical concepts that represent the lower and upper bounds of a sequence, respectively.

4. What is the relationship between liminf subset of limsup and convergence of a sequence?

If the liminf subset of limsup is equal to the limsup subset of liminf, then the sequence is said to be convergent. This means that the sequence has a single limit point that it approaches. However, if the two sets are not equal, the sequence is said to be non-convergent or divergent.

5. Are there any exceptions to the rule that the liminf subset of limsup is always less than or equal to the limsup subset of liminf?

Yes, there are some cases where the liminf subset of limsup can be equal to the limsup subset of liminf. This can occur when the sequence has only one limit point, or when the sequence is bounded and monotonic. In these cases, the liminf and limsup will have the same value, resulting in both sets being equal.