Exploring the Sun's Orbital Path: A Java Model of the Solar System

In summary, the speaker has created a java program that models the solar system with all planets having stable, circular orbits except for the sun which exhibits strange, wobbly loops. The issue is resolved by adding Jupiter to the model.
whatisreality
I've written a java program to model the solar system. All my planets move in very well defined, stable orbits. The sun, on the other hand, is doing some very weird stuff. I've attached a plot of its path, a very zoomed in and a very zoomed out one. It isn't spiralling gradually inwards or outwards, as far as I can tell it's going in weird, wobbly loops. How do I explain that?! Especially as the rest of the planets work so well??

In my model, all bodies are point masses and have circular orbits, and they orbit around their common centre of mass.

Attachments

• sun orbit3.jpg
    sun orbit3.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 419
  • sun orbit.jpg
    sun orbit.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 383
Astronomy news on Phys.org
All good! Adding Jupiter fixed it.

What is the orbital path of the sun?

The orbital path of the sun refers to the path that the sun follows as it orbits around the center of the Milky Way galaxy. This path is elliptical in shape and takes approximately 225-250 million years to complete one full orbit.

What factors influence the orbital path of the sun?

The orbital path of the sun is primarily influenced by the gravitational pull of the other celestial bodies in the galaxy, such as planets and stars. The distribution of mass in the galaxy also plays a role in determining the shape and speed of the sun's orbit.

How does the orbital path of the sun affect Earth's climate?

The changing position of the sun along its orbital path can impact Earth's climate, as it affects the amount of solar radiation that reaches our planet. For example, when the sun is closer to Earth during its elliptical orbit, the planet receives more solar radiation and experiences warmer temperatures.

Why does the orbital path of the sun appear to change throughout the year?

The changing position of the sun in the sky throughout the year is due to the tilt of Earth's axis. As Earth orbits the sun, its tilted axis causes the sun's position to appear to change, resulting in the changing of seasons.

How do scientists study and track the orbital path of the sun?

Scientists use various methods, such as telescopes and satellites, to study and track the orbital path of the sun. They also use mathematical models and calculations to predict the sun's movements and understand its influence on Earth and other celestial bodies in the galaxy.