Exploring Time's Mysteries: Questions on Time and Gravity

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time in relation to black holes and the effects of gravity on time. It is mentioned that time stops at the event horizon of a black hole, but not at the singularity. The perspective of an outside observer is also taken into consideration. The conversation also touches on the idea of time in a true vacuum and the effects of a charged or rotating black hole on time.
lowing99
Hi

A few questions on time, I am hoping for some help with.

As I understand it time stops at the centre of a black hole / singularity.

Would the reverse be true, if the universe had no energy or mass to slow time down, would time flow at "true time" or at it's maximum rate? (Assuming you were able to experience it.)

If yes does this imply gravity has a drag effect on the rate of time?

If both questions are yes does this mean that time could move in waves, caused by ripples in the rate of time where gravity was present ?

best

Colin

Physics news on Phys.org
Time is on the basis of reference points. Time to someone at a singularity is the same, they don't experience time dilation in their reference frame but someone observing them would see time stop for person falling in. At the event horizon they would see time stop for the person falling in but the person itself would see time as if it weren't being disturbed by a gravitational field.

Kevin_Axion said:
Time is on the basis of reference points. Time to someone at a singularity is the same, they don't experience time dilation in their reference frame but someone observing them would see time stop for person falling in. At the event horizon they would see time stop for the person falling in but the person itself would see time as if it weren't being disturbed by a gravitational field.

My apologies I should have said from the observers point of view, my above question assumed the pov was the event horizon. What would be your thoughts on my question from this perspective?

Best
Colin

lowing99 said:
Hi

A few questions on time, I am hoping for some help with.

As I understand it time stops at the centre of a black hole / singularity.

sorry, I disagree. I believe time stops at the event horizon but not at the singularity, for a coordinate observer.

As I said it wouldn't stop for the person at the singularity it would flow in that reference frame similar if they were in a true vacuum without energy densities. But a person observing them would see it stop for them at the event horizon. It's in special relativity, everything depends on perspective.

relativityfan said:
sorry, I disagree. I believe time stops at the event horizon but not at the singularity, for a coordinate observer.

Hi RF would it not slow down gradually between the EH and the singularity coming to a stop at the singularity? (From an outside observers viewpoint) best Colin

Kevin_Axion said:
As I said it wouldn't stop for the person at the singularity it would flow in that reference frame similar if they were in a true vacuum without energy densities. But a person observing them would see it stop for them at the event horizon. It's in special relativity, everything depends on perspective.

Hi Kevin

So in a true vacuum watching a distant spaceman, time would run at it's maximum rate for the distant spaceman from the observers POV, is that correct? (assumes both spacemen's mass do not affect it)

Best

Colin

lowing99 said:
Hi RF would it not slow down gradually between the EH and the singularity coming to a stop at the singularity? (From an outside observers viewpoint) best Colin

from what i know: an observer can not observe what is inside a black hole but one can compare mathematically clocks. time stops at the horizon, for that observer, and then it accelerates in an imaginary direction, decelerates to stop again at the cauchy horizon, then accelerate more and more towards the curvature singularity, that is repulsive(antigravity), if you just use mathematics. so the singularity(antigravity) is like the opposite of the event horizon(gravity). I am writing about a charged or rotating black hole

relativityfan said:
from what i know: an observer can not observe what is inside a black hole but one can compare mathematically clocks. time stops at the horizon, for that observer, and then it accelerates in an imaginary direction, decelerates to stop again at the cauchy horizon, then accelerate more and more towards the curvature singularity, that is repulsive(antigravity), if you just use mathematics. so the singularity(antigravity) is like the opposite of the event horizon(gravity). I am writing about a charged or rotating black hole

Hi RF

Thanks for the info

best

colin

Related to Exploring Time's Mysteries: Questions on Time and Gravity

1. What is time and how is it measured?

Time is a fundamental concept in physics that is used to describe the sequence of events and the duration between them. It is measured in units such as seconds, minutes, and hours using tools like clocks and calendars.

2. Does time flow at a constant rate?

According to the theory of relativity, time is not absolute and can be affected by factors such as gravity and velocity. This means that time can appear to flow at a different rate for different observers.

3. How does gravity affect time?

Gravity is a force that pulls objects towards each other. According to the theory of relativity, gravity can also affect the flow of time. Objects with a stronger gravitational pull, such as planets and stars, can cause time to pass more slowly in their vicinity.

4. Can we travel through time?

At present, there is no scientific evidence to suggest that time travel is possible. While some theories, such as the theory of relativity, allow for the possibility of time travel, the technology and understanding necessary to achieve it are currently beyond our capabilities.

5. How do scientists study time and gravity?

Scientists study time and gravity through various experiments and observations. For example, they use tools such as atomic clocks and telescopes to measure time and observe the effects of gravity on objects in space. They also use mathematical equations and theories, such as the theory of relativity, to better understand the relationship between time and gravity.