Exploring Vector Addition for Beginners

In summary, the person is asking for help with a problem involving adding vectors A and B to get a third vector C that will result in a sum of zero. They have stated that the magnitude of both A and B is 5 and that they form a 30 degree angle. They are unsure of how to start or what to graph. The person they are talking to has asked if they know how to find the resultant of A and B, and if they have any prior knowledge about vectors. They have also suggested looking for resources online or in a textbook.
Fluorine

Homework Statement

[/B]
Sketch in a third vector, C, whose magnitude and direction are such that A+B+C=0. Vectors A and B both have a magnitude of 5 and form a 30 degree angle (image attached).

Homework Equations

[/B]
How do I go about this question? I have no idea how to start or what to graph.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Haven't been able to attempt anything yet because I don't know how to start this problem.

Attachments

• 093.jpg
    093.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 420
Physics news on Phys.org
Fluorine said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
Sketch in a third vector, C, whose magnitude and direction are such that A+B+C=0. Vectors A and B both have a magnitude of 5 and form a 30 degree angle (image attached).

Homework Equations

[/B]

[/B]
Haven't been able to attempt anything yet because I don't know how to start this problem.
Do you know how to find the resultant of A and B?

Fluorine said:

Homework Statement

[/B]

Homework Equations

[/B]

[/B]

What current knowledge do you have about vectors? Do you know how to find the sum of two vectors (either graphically, or using formulas)? Are you using a textbook, and if so, does it have material about vectors and their addition, etc.? If you do not have a textbook, have you searched on-line for tutorials and similar resources?

Likes Chestermiller

Related to Exploring Vector Addition for Beginners

1. How do I determine the direction and magnitude of a vector?

To determine the direction and magnitude of a vector, you can use trigonometry and Pythagorean theorem. The direction can be found by calculating the angle between the vector and a given reference line, while the magnitude can be found by calculating the length of the vector using the Pythagorean theorem.

2. What is the difference between a position vector and a displacement vector?

A position vector represents the location of a point in relation to a fixed origin, while a displacement vector represents the change in position of an object from its initial position to its final position. In other words, a position vector is static and does not change, while a displacement vector is dynamic and can change depending on the movement of the object.

3. How do I add or subtract vectors?

To add or subtract vectors, you can use the parallelogram rule or the tail-to-tip method. The parallelogram rule involves drawing a parallelogram with the two vectors as its sides and the diagonal of the parallelogram represents the sum or difference of the two vectors. The tail-to-tip method involves placing the tail of one vector at the tip of the other and drawing a new vector from the tail of the first vector to the tip of the second vector.

4. Can I multiply vectors?

Vectors can be multiplied by a scalar, which results in a new vector with the same direction but a different magnitude. The scalar multiplication can be represented as c * v, where c is the scalar and v is the vector. However, vector multiplication (also known as cross product) is only applicable in three-dimensional space and results in a new vector that is perpendicular to the original vectors.

5. How can I use vectors in real-life applications?

Vectors have many real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, and navigation. In physics, vectors are used to represent forces and velocities. In engineering, vectors are used to represent forces and moments in structures. In navigation, vectors are used to represent the direction and speed of moving objects, such as airplanes or ships.