How is kinetic energy distributed in an explosion with unequal masses?

In summary, the object exploded and each piece acquired 1.5x the mass of the other. The problem statement says that energy is conserved, so the total kinetic energy before the explosion is still 0. To solve for the velocity, you use a conservation law to eliminate m_2 and v_2 from the equation.
afjunkie

Homework Statement

An explosion breaks an object into two pieces, one of which has 1.5 times the mass of the other. If 7300 J were released in the explosion, how much kinetic energy did each piece acquire?

Homework Equations

Po = P

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know how to start this...

Physics news on Phys.org
Use a coordinate system where the center of mass is at rest. Do you know the formula for kinetic energy? There's a conservation law you can use to determine what you should put into that formula. I don't want to tell you any more, because that would make it too easy.

Well the only law I know of for Kinetic Energy would be KE=1/2 m(v^2) and that Initial KE = final KE...but I don't know how to use either of those in this situation because I have nothing for velocity, and I'm not even sure if that is relevant.

afjunkie said:

Homework Statement

An explosion breaks an object into two pieces, one of which has 1.5 times the mass of the other.

Forget the rest of the question for the moment. Did you draw a before/after picture and label it with everything you know about the two pieces? Does it remind you of anything you've seen before?

Yes I did, but it doesn't remind me of anything...all I know about them is that one has a mass of 1.5 m, and the other's mass is m. I guess you could say it looks sort of like a Free Body Diagram?

OK, now try imagining time is "in reverse", like you're rewinding a video tape. So the "after" picture comes first, then the "before" picture. What does the video tape look like?

Does that remind you of a type of problem you've solved before?

afjunkie said:
Well the only law I know of for Kinetic Energy would be KE=1/2 m(v^2) and that Initial KE = final KE...but I don't know how to use either of those in this situation because I have nothing for velocity, and I'm not even sure if that is relevant.
Energy is not conserved here. The problem statement tells you how much the energy will increase. There is however something else that's conserved here, and that conservation law will tell you the velocity.

Did you figure out what other conservation law I was talking about? (It won't tell you the velocities separately. It will just give you one as a function of the other). Did you realize that [itex]K_1+K_2=7800[/itex]?

No, i did not realize that. How did you get that?

Now that I think about it, the specification doesn't say that the 7800 J is the amount of energy that was converted into kinetic energy. Some of it could be heat, or kinetic energy of gas particles that are leftovers from the explosion. But if it is, we can't solve the problem. So I can only assume that the 7800 J is just the energy that was converted to kinetic energy.

In the center of mass frame, the total kinetic energy before the explosion is 0. We interpret the problem specification as saying that the total kinetic energy increases by E=7800 J. That tells us that

[tex]E=\frac 1 2 m_1v_1^2+\frac 1 2 m_2v_2^2[/tex].

What you have to do is to use a conservation law to eliminate [itex]m_2[/itex] and [itex]v_2[/itex] from the equation (express the right-hand side as a function of [itex]m_1[/itex] and [itex]v_1[/itex] only).

Alright, I think I see what you're saying...but the number 7800 seems to have come out of nowhere. Either you mean 7300N because that's what the problem says, or I will need help on how you found that number...

Oops...you're right. I read the number wrong.

Ok, no big, just making sure that I didn't miss something.

1. What is an explosion?

An explosion is a rapid release of energy in a violent manner, resulting in a sudden increase in temperature and pressure.

2. What causes an explosion?

An explosion can be caused by various factors, including chemical reactions, rapid combustion, or the sudden release of energy stored under pressure.

3. Can explosions be prevented?

Some explosions can be prevented by proper handling and storage of materials, regular maintenance of equipment, and following safety protocols. However, certain natural phenomena, such as volcanic eruptions, cannot be prevented.

4. How is energy involved in explosions?

Explosions are essentially a rapid release of stored energy. The source of this energy can vary, but it is often in the form of heat or chemical energy.

5. Are all explosions dangerous?

Not all explosions are dangerous. Some controlled explosions, such as those used in mining or demolition, are planned and executed with safety precautions in place. However, unexpected or uncontrolled explosions can be very dangerous and destructive.