Finding the Derivative of Exponential Functions

In summary, to find the derivative of y=x(3x)^x^2, one can use the multi-variable chain rule or logarithmic differentiation, resulting in y'=(3x)^x^2+3x^3(3x)^x^2+2x^2(3x)^x^2(ln(3x)+1).
thomasrules
How do you find the derivative of:

y=x(3x)^x^2
?

I though it was yprime=(1)3x^x^2+x(3x^x^2)ln(1+3x)(2x)

Physics news on Phys.org
I got

1*3x^x^2+x(3x^x^2)*(2x ln(3x) + x).

I'm guessing you just did some bad algebra. Maybe instead of ln(1+3x) you meant (ln(3x) + 1)?

You could do it in various ways.
One method (ultimately justified by the multi-variable chain rule) is to regard one x as varying, the others constant, and then add the results:
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=(3x)^{x^{2}}+3x^{3}(3x)^{x^{2}-1}+2x^{2}(3x)^{x^{2}}\ln(3x)[/tex]

To do this properly, we may define:
[tex]H(u,v,w)=uv^{w}, U(x)=x, V(x)=3x, W(x)=x^{2}[/tex]
Then, we may define the function:
[tex]h(x)=H(U(x),V(x),W(x))[/tex]
and we have, by the multi-variable chain rule:
[tex]\frac{dh}{dx}=(\frac{\partial{H}}{\partial{u}}\frac{dU}{dx}+\frac{\partial{H}}{\partial{v}}\frac{dV}{dx}+\frac{\partial{H}}{\partial{w}}\frac{dW}{dx})\mid_{(u,v,w)=(U(x),V(x),W(x)}[/tex]

Last edited:
i thought the law of y=x^x was:

x^x(1+lnx)

i was taught taht you should find the log of both sides and differentiate from there

so then you question
[tex] y = x(3x)^{x^2} [/tex]
will turn into

[tex] \ln y = \ln (x(3x)^{x^2}) [/tex]

and differentiate both sides from here

stunner5000pt said:
i was taught taht you should find the log of both sides and differentiate from there

so then you question
will turn into

There's a name for what you did: logarithmic differentiation. It basically allows one to get the derivative of any (no matter how complicated) elementary function.

Daniel.

thomasrules said:

x^x(1+lnx)
Yes, that's perfectly correct.

stunner5000pt said:

so then you question
will turn into

Also correct. In particular, if y= xx then ln y= x ln x so
(1/y)y'= ln x+ x(1/x)= ln(x)+ 1. y'= y(ln x+ 1)= xx(ln x+ 1) as thomasrules said. You can use (xx)'= xx(ln x+ 1) together with the product and chain rules to do this more complicated version:
[tex]y= x(3x)^{x^2}[/tex]
then
[tex]y'= (3x)^{x^2}+ x((3x)^{x^2})(ln(3x)+ 1)(2x)[/tex]
or you can say
[tex]\ln y = \ln (x(3x)^{x^2})= ln x+ x^2 ln 3+ x^2 ln(x)[/tex]
and differentiate that.

thomasrules said:

x^x(1+lnx)
Sure enough, and you can do find this out in various ways:
1. One variable chain rule
[tex]y=x^{x}=e^{x\ln(x)}=e^{u(x)},\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{d}{du}e^{u}*\frac{du}{dx}=e^{u(x)}*(\ln(x)+x*\frac{1}{x})=x^{x}(1+\ln(x))[/tex]
2. Logarithmic differentiation:
[tex]Y(x)=\ln(y(x))=x\ln(x),\frac{dY}{dx}=\ln(x)+1=\frac{dY}{dy}\frac{dy}{dx}\to\frac{1}{y(x)}\frac{dy}{dx}=1+\ln(x)\to\frac{dy}{dx}=y(x)(1+\ln(x))=x^{x}(1+\ln(x))[/tex]
3. Multivariable chain rule (regard one x as constant, the others varying, then add the results)):
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=x*x^{x-1}+x^{x}\ln(x)=x^{x}(1+\ln(x))[/tex]
stunner5000pt said:

As noted, there are various valid methods to do this correctly. Logarithmic differentiation is ONE technique, among several.

FAQ: Finding the Derivative of Exponential Functions

What is the definition of a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change or slope of a function at a specific point. It is often denoted as f'(x) or dy/dx.

How do you find the derivative of an exponential function?

To find the derivative of an exponential function, you can use the power rule, which states that the derivative of any function raised to a constant power is equal to the constant times the original function raised to the power minus one. For example, the derivative of f(x) = ex is f'(x) = ex.

What is the chain rule and how is it used in finding the derivative of exponential functions?

The chain rule is a formula used to find the derivative of a composite function, which is a function that is composed of two or more other functions. In the case of exponential functions, the chain rule is used when the exponent is not a constant, but another function. The rule states that the derivative of f(g(x)) is equal to f'(g(x)) * g'(x). So, the derivative of f(x) = e2x would be f'(x) = e2x * 2.

Can you give an example of finding the derivative of an exponential function?

Sure, let's find the derivative of f(x) = 3e2x. We can use the power rule and the chain rule to solve this problem. First, we apply the power rule to the exponential term, which gives us f'(x) = 3 * (2e2x). Then, we apply the chain rule to the exponent, which gives us f'(x) = 3 * (2 * 2x * e2x). Simplifying this, we get f'(x) = 6xe2x.

Why is it important to know how to find the derivative of exponential functions?

Knowing how to find the derivative of exponential functions is important because it allows us to understand the behavior and rate of change of these types of functions. It is also a fundamental concept in calculus and is used in many real-world applications, such as in finance, physics, and engineering.

Back