How Does Rigor Balance with Intuition in the Summation of Exponential Series?

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the Taylor series representation of the exponential function and the argument for its non-rigorous nature. The balance between Rudin's thorough treatment and Euler's intuitive argument is questioned, and the limit of a sum involving powers and factorial terms is also considered. The limit is found to be equal to the sum of the exponential function.
poissonspot
When I was first introduced to a derivation of the taylor series representation of the exponential function here (pg 25): http://paginas.fisica.uson.mx/horacio.munguia/Personal/Documentos/Libros/Euler The_Master of Us.pdf
I noted the author, Dunham mentioning that the argument was non rigorous. I suspected since that it had to do something with the step involving simplifying the expressions like $\frac{k(k-1)(k-2)}{k^3}$ to $1$ for infinitely large $k$. Later Baby Rudin clarified with the section on $e$ in chapter 3. However I am still faced with some urge to simply argue when faced with sums like $\sum\limits_{n=0}^M {n \choose k}(\frac{x}{n})^{k}$ that terms like $\frac{n(n-1)(n-2)}{n^3}$ go to 1 for sufficiently large n and then just consider the sum $\sum\limits_{k=0}^\infty \frac{x^k}{k!}$. Is there some kind of balance between Rudin's thorough treatment and Euler's intuitive but perhaps loose argument?

The best I could think of is as follows:
Letting $f_n(x)=\sum\limits_{k=0}^n {n \choose k}(\frac{x}{n})^k$
I don't think it is hard to show $|{{f_n(x)}-\sum\limits_{k=0}^n \frac{x^k}{k!}}|<o(1)$
By considering the terms $\frac{n(n-1)}{2}x^2$ like so: $(\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{2n})x^2$ and then summing up all the error terms like $-\frac{1}{2n}x^2$.

This leads me to ask about this sum:

$ 1+M(\frac{f}{M})^{\alpha}+\frac{M(M-1)(\frac{f}{M})^{2\alpha}}{2!}+\frac{M(M-1)(M-2)(\frac{f}{M})^{3\alpha}}{3!}+...=\sum\limits_{k=0}^M {M \choose k}(\frac{f}{M})^{k\alpha}$

How would you find the limit of this sum as $M->\infty$?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The limit of this sum can be found using the same approach as before. Letting $g_M(f)=\sum\limits_{k=0}^M {M \choose k}(\frac{f}{M})^{k\alpha}$, we can show that $|{{g_M(f)}-\sum\limits_{k=0}^M \frac{f^{k\alpha}}{k!}}|<o(1)$. By considering the terms $\frac{M(M-1)(M-2)}{3!}f^{3\alpha}$ like so: $(\frac{1}{6}-\frac{1}{6M^2})f^{3\alpha}$ and then summing up all the error terms like $-\frac{1}{6M^2}f^{3\alpha}$. The limit of the sum is therefore $\sum\limits_{k=0}^\infty \frac{f^{k\alpha}}{k!}$.

Related to How Does Rigor Balance with Intuition in the Summation of Exponential Series?

1. What is an exponential function?

An exponential function is a mathematical function in the form f(x) = abx, where a and b are constants and x is a variable. The variable x is typically an exponent and the base b is usually a positive number greater than 1.

2. What are the key characteristics of an exponential function?

Some key characteristics of an exponential function include: a constant base, a variable exponent, a steeply increasing or decreasing graph, and a domain and range of all real numbers. Additionally, exponential functions have a horizontal asymptote at y = 0 or a vertical asymptote at x = 0.

3. What is the difference between an exponential function and a linear function?

The main difference between exponential functions and linear functions is the rate of change. Linear functions have a constant rate of change, meaning the slope of the graph is always the same. Exponential functions, on the other hand, have an increasing or decreasing rate of change, as the exponent in the function increases or decreases.

4. What are some real-world applications of exponential functions?

Exponential functions have many real-world applications, such as modeling population growth, compound interest, radioactive decay, and epidemics. They are also used in fields like economics, physics, and biology to describe exponential growth and decay phenomena.

5. How do you graph an exponential function?

To graph an exponential function, you can create a table of values by choosing values for x and plugging them into the function to find the corresponding y values. Then, plot the points on a coordinate plane and connect them with a smooth curve. Alternatively, you can use the properties of exponential functions, such as the asymptotes and key points, to sketch the graph without creating a table of values.