Solving Exponential Growth Equation without Logarithms

In summary, to solve the equation (1.024)^t=2.857 without using logarithms, one could use the "midpoint algorithm" and guess and check values of t that give one value lower than 2.857 and one larger. Another option is to use the inverse of a function, which involves swapping x and y values.
thomasrules
the question is how do I solve

[tex](1.024)^t=2.857[/tex]

and find "t" without using logarithms

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't.

You could just guess and check... i.e., what is it if t=2, 3, 4, etc. If at t0 the LHS is under 2.857, and at t1 the LHS is over, you know that the t you're looking for is between the two values.

There's probably an algorithm you can use or something

Why would you not want to use logarithms? That's what logarithms are for! Other than that, use the "midpoint algorithm". Find two values of t that give one value lower than 2.857 and one larger (hint: try 44 and 45), then try half way between. Keep going "half way" between one number that gives less than 2.857 and one that gives more than, reducing the interval each time.

Gotta just guess and guess and guess. It's 44.2633... lol :).

But... Just so you know in the future. [tex]A^{x}=A^{y}[/tex] can be rewritten as x=y.

Edit, in this case [tex] (1.024)^{t}=(1.024)^{44.2633}[/tex] So [tex]t=44.2633[/tex]

Last edited:
yea i know that rule thanks guys

yea ok but wait how do u find the inverse of like

[tex]y=3(2)^x[/tex] or [tex]y=(x)^{1/3}[/tex]

whats the formula is not in the book

Last edited:
i suck at this tex stuff i can't get the x^(1/3) and I wrote the y=3(2)^x first and it appeared second...wtf

Do you mean inverse? The inverse of a function basically just means swap x and y around. So [tex]y=x^{1/3}[/tex] goes to [tex]x=y^{1/3}[/tex]...

Last edited:

1. What is exponential growth?

Exponential growth is a type of growth that occurs when a quantity increases at a fixed percentage rate over a period of time. This means that the growth rate itself is also increasing, resulting in a rapid and continuous increase in the quantity.

2. How is exponential growth different from linear growth?

Exponential growth differs from linear growth in that the former results in a rapidly increasing curve, while the latter results in a steady, gradual increase. In exponential growth, the growth rate is proportional to the current quantity, whereas in linear growth, the growth rate remains constant.

3. What are some real-world examples of exponential growth?

Some examples of exponential growth include population growth, compound interest in finance, and the spread of diseases. In these cases, the quantity increases at a fixed percentage rate, resulting in a rapid and continuous growth over time.

4. What factors contribute to exponential growth?

The main factors that contribute to exponential growth are a constant growth rate and a large starting quantity. Additionally, a lack of limiting factors, such as competition or resources, can also contribute to exponential growth in certain populations.

5. Can exponential growth continue indefinitely?

While exponential growth can continue for a period of time, it is not sustainable in the long run. Eventually, limiting factors will come into play and slow down the growth rate, resulting in a more steady rate of increase or even a decline in the quantity. This is known as the "exponential growth curve" where the growth rate reaches a maximum and then begins to level off.