Proving Exponential Identities

In summary, the conversation discusses an identity involving the Taylor series for the exponential function and a definition using a limit. The conversation also mentions a typo and the process of showing the equivalence of the two sides. The speaker thanks the other person for their help.
muzialis
Hi All,

I am struggling to prove the following identity

$$ 1 + y + \frac{1}{2!}y^2 + \frac{1}{3!}y^3 + \dots = lim_{N \to \infty} \sum_{r=0}^{N} \frac {N!}{r! (N-r)!} \frac{y}{N}^{r} = lim_{N \to \infty} (1 + \frac{y}{N})^N $$

any hint would the most appreciated. I understand the left-most term is the Taylor series for the exponential function, and the right-most term is also used as a definition of such function, yet I would like to know how the two are explicitly shown to be equivalent.

Thanks as usual

Physics news on Phys.org
muzialis said:
Hi All,

I am struggling to prove the following identity

$$ 1 + y + \frac{1}{2!}y^2 + \frac{1}{3!}y^3 + \dots = lim_{N \to \infty} \sum_{r=0}^{N} \frac {N!}{r! (N-r)!} \frac{y}{N}^{r} = lim_{N \to \infty} (1 + \frac{y}{N})^N $$
any hint would the most appreciated. I understand the left-most term is the Taylor series for the exponential function, and the right-most term is also used as a definition of such function, yet I would like to know how the two are explicitly shown to be equivalent.

Thanks as usual
There is a typo in the middle formula. It should be: ## \lim_{N \to \infty} \sum_{r=0}^{N} \frac {N!}{r! (N-r)!} (\frac{y}{N})^{r}##.

It is then easy to see that this is the binomial expansion of the right side.
One also sees that for each fixed ##r##, the ##r##-term in the middle sum tends to ##y^r/r!## as ##N \to\infty##.

It remains to convince oneself that everything works out with the limits.

Last edited:
Erland,
many thanks for pointing this out, I am a little bit closer now to understanding, many thanks
!

What is an exponential identity?

An exponential identity is a mathematical expression that relates to exponential functions. It typically involves a base number raised to a power, and is used to simplify and solve complex equations involving exponential functions.

Why is it important to prove exponential identities?

Proving exponential identities helps to establish the validity and accuracy of mathematical equations involving exponential functions. It also allows for the simplification and manipulation of these equations, making them easier to solve and understand.

What are the steps to proving an exponential identity?

The first step is to identify the identity that needs to be proven. Then, using algebraic manipulation and properties of exponents, the equation is simplified until it matches the original identity. This shows that the identity is indeed true.

What are some common techniques used in proving exponential identities?

Some common techniques include using the properties of exponents, such as the power rule, product rule, and quotient rule. Other techniques involve converting exponential expressions into logarithmic form or using identities involving trigonometric functions.

Are there any tricks or shortcuts to proving exponential identities?

There are no shortcuts or tricks to proving exponential identities. It requires a thorough understanding of algebraic manipulation and properties of exponents. However, with practice and familiarity, one can become more efficient in proving these identities.