Exponential Map of R3: A Closer Look

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of one-parameter subgroups and their relationship to exponential maps. It is noted that the 1-parameter subgroup generated by vector X can be represented as tX, and that this can also be represented as a matrix group by using a standard trick. This allows for a better understanding of the concept and its applications.
enricfemi
I don not know whether I was right or not, please give me a hint.

(R3,+) can be considered a Lie group. and its TG in 0 is still R3.

suppose X as a infinitesimal generater, it can give a left-invariant vector field and also an one-parameter subgroup.

but i think, this one-parameter subgroup is not exponential map r(t)=exp(Xt). it should be r(t)=Xt

must a 1-parameter subgroup whose tangent vector at 0 is X, have a unique exponential map?
is there any thing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
One-parameter subgroup generated by vector X is indeed tX.

The generator of this subgroup is the differential operator

[tex]\xi_X=\sum_{i=1}^3X^i\frac{\partial }{\partial x^i}[/tex]

which you can get by differentiating f(x+tX) with respect to t at t=0.

Formally the exponential [tex]\exp(t\xi_x)[/tex] acts on functions by power series (Taylor) expansion.

Last edited:
arkajad said:
One-parameter subgroup generated by vector X is indeed tX.

The generator of this subgroup is the differential operator

[tex]\xi_X=\sum_{i=1}^3X^i\frac{\partial }{\partial x^i}[/tex]

which you can get by differentiating f(x+tX) with respect to t at t=0.

Formally the exponential [tex]\exp(t\xi_x)[/tex] acts on functions by power series (Taylor) expansion.

Thank you, arkajad! So you mean the 1-parameter subgroup generated by vector field can be not exponential map?

Last edited:
enricfemi said:
Thank you, arkajad! So you mean the 1-parameter subgroup generated by vector field can be not exponential map?

It is an exponential. But the point is that what we have is not a matrix group. But, with a standard little trick, we can make it into a matrix group by representing translations as block matrices

[tex]\begin{pmatrix}I&a\\0&1\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Then it acts on [tex]R^3[/tex] via

[tex]\begin{pmatrix}I&a\\0&1\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}x\\1\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}x+a\\1\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Now the vector field is represented by

[tex]X=\begin{pmatrix}0&a\\0&0\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Notice that [tex]X^n=0[/tex] for [tex]n>1[/tex]. Therefore

[tex]\exp(tX)=I+tX[/tex]

and you get what you are looking for.

Last edited:
arkajad said:
It is an exponential. But the point is that what we have is not a matrix group. But, with a standard little trick, we can make it into a matrix group by representing translations as block matrices

[tex]\begin{pmatrix}I&a\\0&1\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Then it acts on [tex]R^3[/tex] via

[tex]\begin{pmatrix}I&a\\0&1\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}x\\1\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}x+a\\1\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Now the vector field is represented by

[tex]X=\begin{pmatrix}0&a\\0&0\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Notice that [tex]X^n=0[/tex] for [tex]n>1[/tex]. Therefore

[tex]\exp(tX)=I+tX[/tex]

and you get what you are looking for.

thanks, that's a brilliant construct. i think i have finally understood it.

1. What is the Exponential Map of R3?

The Exponential Map of R3 is a mathematical concept that maps a point in a three-dimensional space to a point on a curved surface known as a manifold. It is used in differential geometry and is a fundamental tool in the study of curved surfaces, such as those found in general relativity and other areas of mathematics.

2. How does the Exponential Map of R3 work?

The Exponential Map of R3 is based on the idea of moving along a curved surface by taking small steps in a particular direction. It uses the tangent space at a point on the surface to determine the direction in which to take these steps, and then calculates the exponential of this direction to determine the new point on the surface. This process is repeated to move along the surface in a continuous manner.

3. What is the significance of the Exponential Map of R3?

The Exponential Map of R3 is a powerful tool in studying curved surfaces and is used in a wide range of fields, including differential geometry, general relativity, and computer graphics. It allows for the calculation of distances and angles on curved surfaces, which are important in understanding the behavior of physical systems and in creating realistic simulations.

4. How is the Exponential Map of R3 related to the concept of curvature?

The Exponential Map of R3 is closely related to the concept of curvature, as it allows for the measurement of curvature on a surface. The curvature at a point is determined by the rate at which the surface curves in different directions, and the Exponential Map of R3 provides a way to calculate this curvature using the tangent space at that point.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Exponential Map of R3?

Yes, the Exponential Map of R3 has numerous real-world applications. One example is in general relativity, where it is used to study the curvature of space-time and the behavior of massive objects. It is also used in computer graphics to create realistic 3D animations and in robotics to plan the movements of robots in a 3D environment.