1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exponential rules

1. Jul 24, 2006 #1
    Can someone give me a hint on how to prove that

where A and B are two operators such that [A,B]=c, where c is a complex number.

This is not homework or something, I'm just curious when reading the rules.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2006 #2

Gold Member

Hello Logarythmic,

the identity would also be true if [A,B] commutes with both A and B. c doesn't necessarily have to be a complex number in the first place.

A common proof starts with defining:

Calculating [itex]\frac{df}{dx}[/itex] (*) will lead to a first-order differential equation. After finding the solution, f(1) will give the identity.

(*)hint: if [A,B] commutes with A and B then:

4. Jul 25, 2006 #3
    Thanks for your answer but I don't get it at all. When calculating the derivative of f(x), should I keep in mind that the operators could depend on x? If A and B commutes, then I could prove it just like with ordinary numbers, right? So suppose that A and B do not commute. Calculating df/dx and solving the differential equation just gives me the originally defined f(x)...? Isn't the easiest way to prove it by using the series expansion of e^A?
  5. Jul 25, 2006 #4

Gold Member

Treat the operators A and B as if they would not depend on x:

Now you can factor out f(x) and apply (*).
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2006
  6. Jul 29, 2006 #5
    I solved it. Thanks. =)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?