Express g(x) as g(x) = -2x2+ 0x + 1

• Thread starter Phoresis
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding the zeros of two given functions, F(x) and G(x), and using the quadratic formula to solve for the zeros of F(x). The confusion arises when trying to find the zeros of G(x), which only has two terms. The solution is to express G(x) in the standard form of a quadratic equation and then solve for the zeros. The conversation also briefly discusses plotting the zeros on a graph.
Phoresis
Ok i have the following question:

Given the functions:

F(x) = 2x^2 + 3x - 2
G(x) = 1 - 2x^2

Find:

a) the zeros of f(x), g(x)

Now I've used the following formula
Code:
[U]-b ±√b²-4ac²[/U]
        2a

and worked out the zeros of f(x) fine, but I'm confused as to how to accomplish the same for g(x) when g(x) only has 2 elements. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
dont u just set g(x) = 0? if so you get [tex]x = \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}[/tex]

Phoresis said:
Ok i have the following question:

Given the functions:

F(x) = 2x^2 + 3x - 2
G(x) = 1 - 2x^2

Find:

a) the zeros of f(x), g(x)

Now I've used the following formula
Code:
[U]-b ±√b²-4ac²[/U]
        2a

and worked out the zeros of f(x) fine, but I'm confused as to how to accomplish the same for g(x) when g(x) only has 2 elements. Any help?
Why do think g has "only two elements"?

I hope I remember this correctly, but I believe you can express g(x) as
g(x) = -2x2+ 0x + 1

also, the c should not be squared in your quadratic formula.

yup thanks that was a typo

for g(x) :

x= +/- root2/2

You don't need the quadratic formula for g(x)

If you want to find the zeros:

g(x)=1 - 2x2

0=1 - 2x2

2x2=1
x2=1/2

Then, like faraz said [tex]x = \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}[/tex]

but also

[tex]x = -\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}[/tex]

oh i see. ok. thanks for your help guys. much appreciated.

how do you plot [tex]x = \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}[/tex] on a graph though?

Phoresis said:
how do you plot [tex]x = \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}[/tex] on a graph though?
Why would you want to?

I guess if you really wanted to plot it an a x-y coordinate plane it would just be a vertical line at [tex]x = \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}[/tex]

you don't need the negative in front of the fraction, because the result of the radical is automatically assumed to be plus and minus.

[tex]\sqrt{2} = \pm1.414...[/tex]

FarazAli said:
you don't need the negative in front of the fraction, because the result of the radical is automatically assumed to be plus and minus.

[tex]\sqrt{2} = \pm1.414...[/tex]
I believe the square root function (being a function and all) only outputs the positive root.

the function we are originally dealing with is not the square root function, it's g(x)=1 - 2x^2. Therefore, you have to include both + and - values of g(0). If you plot the graph, it is a parabola, so will have one, two, or no roots. In this case, it has two, one positive and one negative. Hence the +- of your square root.

1. What is the meaning of "express g(x) as g(x) = -2x2+ 0x + 1"?

Expressing g(x) as g(x) = -2x2+ 0x + 1 means rewriting the function g(x) in the form of a polynomial equation, specifically in the form of ax² + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants.

2. How do I express g(x) as g(x) = -2x2+ 0x + 1?

To express g(x) as g(x) = -2x2+ 0x + 1, you need to substitute the values of the coefficients a, b, and c with the given values of -2, 0, and 1, respectively. This will give you the final polynomial equation of g(x) = -2x² + 0x + 1.

3. Why is it important to express a function in polynomial form?

Expressing a function in polynomial form allows us to easily identify the degree of the function and its leading coefficient. This information can help us analyze the behavior of the function and make predictions about its value at different points.

4. Can I express g(x) in a different form?

Yes, there are different ways to express a function depending on the situation and purpose. For example, if you are trying to find the roots of a function, you may want to express it in factored form. However, for the given function g(x) = -2x² + 0x + 1, expressing it in polynomial form is the most appropriate.

5. How can I use the expression g(x) = -2x2+ 0x + 1 to solve a problem?

The expression g(x) = -2x2+ 0x + 1 is a mathematical representation of a function. You can use this function to solve problems related to the behavior and values of the function at different points. For example, you can use it to find the y-intercept of the function by plugging in x = 0 and solving for y.