Expressing a complex function as polar coordinates

In summary, the conversation is about expressing the complex function f(z) = (1 + i)^z in polar coordinates. The main equations used are reiθ and (r,θ) form. The attempt at a solution involves finding the polar form of (1 + i)^z and expressing it as ((√2)^z,(z∏/4)). However, this is not correct as z is complex and the r and θ terms should be real. The correct solution involves expressing z as x+iy and 1+i in reiθ form, and then turning the resulting expression into reiθ form for the final answer.
PedroB

Homework Statement

Consider the complex function f (z) = (1 + i)^z with z ε ℂ.

1. Express f in polar coordinates.

Homework Equations

The main derived equations are in the following section, there is no 'special rule' that I (to my knowledge) need to apply here.

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated that the equation is equal to (√2)(e^x)(cos(y)+icos(y)+isin(y)-sin(y))
or, alternatively (e^((xln(√2)-y∏/4))(e^(i∏((x/4)+yln(√2))

(These expansions may not be correct though)

My main problem lies in the question itself. Even though I have done these expansions I have no idea whether or not they are relevant for the problem at hand (The fact that it is polar coordinates that the question is after makes me believe that the latter expansion is irrelevant), and if they are I am unsure as to how to represent them as 'polar coordinates'. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank-you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi PedroB! :smile:

Hint: what is 1 + i in polar notation? :wink:

If I express (1+i)^z by substituting the (1+i) equivalence in polar form I simply get (cos(z∏/4)+isin(z∏/4)). What I don't understand is if by expressing it in polar coordinates they mean for me to actually plot the graph on the complex plane. If this is the case I still do not see how I can get an answer (Thanks for the first tip though)

PedroB said:
If I express (1+i)^z by substituting the (1+i) equivalence in polar form I simply get (cos(z∏/4)+isin(z∏/4)).
That can't be right because 1+i has modulus > 1. Besides, that isn't polar form. If you get it into the complex form re then the polar form is (r,θ).

My mistake, I apologize, the polar form will therefore be ((√2)^z,(z∏/4)). Is this it then? It seems too simple (from experience of the questions I've been given in the past), but if this is truly expressing the equation in polar coordinate form is there nothing more I can do to it? Would it be sufficient to leave z as it is?

PedroB said:
My mistake, I apologize, the polar form will therefore be ((√2)^z,(z∏/4)).

if z ε ℝ, yes :smile:

but the question says z ε ℂ :wink:

(and now I'm off to bed :zzz:)

Sorry, I was careless in the wording of my previous post.
re is "polar form", but it's the polar form of a complex number. The question asks for polar co-ordinates, which is (r,θ) form, and does not involve complex numbers.
So here's what I should have written:
If you get it into the complex polar form, re, then the polar co-ordinate form is (r,θ).​
PedroB said:
the polar form will therefore be ((√2)^z,(z∏/4)).
No, z is complex. You need the r and θ terms to be real.
Start with expressing z as x+iy and put 1+i in re form. Turn the resulting expression into re form.

What is the purpose of expressing a complex function as polar coordinates?

The purpose of expressing a complex function as polar coordinates is to simplify the representation of the function. It allows us to visualize the function in terms of distance and angle, rather than just real and imaginary components.

How do you convert a complex function from Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates?

To convert from Cartesian coordinates (x + iy) to polar coordinates (r∠θ), we use the equations r = √(x^2 + y^2) and tan(θ) = y/x. This gives us the magnitude (distance from the origin) and angle of the function in polar form.

Can any complex function be expressed as polar coordinates?

Yes, any complex function can be expressed as polar coordinates. However, the reverse is not always true - not all polar functions can be expressed as Cartesian coordinates.

What is the relationship between polar coordinates and trigonometric functions?

Polar coordinates and trigonometric functions are closely related. The angle θ in polar coordinates is equivalent to the argument of trigonometric functions (sin, cos, tan) in Cartesian coordinates. Additionally, the magnitude r in polar coordinates is equivalent to the amplitude of the trigonometric functions.

How can expressing a complex function as polar coordinates help in solving equations?

Expressing a complex function as polar coordinates can make it easier to solve equations involving the function. By converting to polar form, we can use the properties of trigonometric functions to simplify the equations and find solutions more easily.