1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expression and product

1. May 22, 2013 #1
    for which value of a the expression write a*m*b+15*m+11*n+8 can be written into a product
    of something(with m)*something (with n)

i can think how to find the product of this expression

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Two points- first the problem does NOT ask you to find the product- it asks you to find a so that it can be written as a product. Second, you have written the problem incorrectly. That first term "amb" does not mmae any sense. You could just combine "b" into "a". Further a product of a "something (with n)" and "something (with m)" must have a term in which m and n themselves are mutiplied. I believe the problem was "a*m*n", not "a*m*b".

"Something with n" times "something with m" would be of the form (pm+ q)(sn+ t) for some numbers p, q, s, and t. Multiplying that, (ps)mn+ (pt)m+ (qs)n+ qt. For that to be amn+ 15m+ 11n+ 8 we must have ps= a, pt= 15, qs= 11, and qt= 8. If we divide qs= 11 by qt= 8, the "q"s cancel and we get t/s= 11/8. If we divide ps= a by pt= 15, the "p"s cancel and we get s/t= a/15. From t/s= 11/78 we get s/t= 8/11 and so must have a/15= 8/11.

4. May 22, 2013 #3
    i forgot to say that the expression is (a*m*n+15*m+11*n+8)^2 but its says that this a that we found its not correct...

5. May 22, 2013 #4
    and its 1/(this expression)....

6. May 22, 2013 #5
    where is the wrong?

7. May 22, 2013 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

a = ps = (pt)(qs)/(qt) = 15*11/8

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted