Expression for current through loop as a function of time

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the expression for current in a N-turn circular coil with radius r, total resistance R, and a uniform magnetic field that varies with time according to B=B0sin(\omegat). The conversation also mentions the use of equations such as \PhiB=\intBcosA, ε=d/dt \PhiB, and ε=iR to solve the problem, but also brings up the need to consider self-induction when the resistance is large.
kez

Homework Statement

An N-turn circular coil of radius r with a total resistance of R is placed such that the normal to its plane is parallel to the +z axis. A uniform magnetic field varies with time according to B=B0sin([itex]\omega[/itex]t) where the amplitude B0 and angular frequency ω are constants. Find an expression for the current in the loop as a function of time.

Homework Equations

1. [itex]\Phi[/itex]B=[itex]\int[/itex]BcosA
2. ε=d/dt [itex]\Phi[/itex]B
3. ε=iR

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the integral of the magnetic field to find flux (used equation 1 from above). I multiplied by N to account for the N number of loops. Then I took the derivative of the magnetic flux (used equation 2) to determine ε. After, I just plugged in ε into the 3rd equation and solved for current... But it doesn't really make sense to plus in a value that varies with time into an equation that deals only with constant values.

I think I missed something important here, so any help would be appreciated. I've also included an attachment of the question and the answer I got using the steps I outlined above.

Thanks!

Attachments

• physics q.PNG
    physics q.PNG
    9.1 KB · Views: 887
Physics news on Phys.org
Your work appears to be correct. It's important to note that there's nothing saying the current or potential generated is a constant value; they can be functions of time, just as the B-field is.

If the net field piercing the coil is B0sin(wt) then what you did is OK. But if B is an external B field = B0sin(wt) then you need to realize that the net B field thru the coil is the sum of the external B field and the self-induced B field due to the current in the coil.

With the latter assumption the current does not track the external field as -N dø/dt / R with ø = AB0sin(wt) but builds up over time with a time constant = L/R where L and R are the inductance and resistance resp. of the coil.

Things get even dizzier if you also want to consider the effect of the induced B on the external B field. This is the problem of mutual inductance on which e.g. transformers are based.

EDIT: I should add that even in the steady-state the effects of self-induction must be considered. The phase of current will not be in quadrature (90 deg. phase shift) to the external B field and there is also attenuation compared to ignoring the self-induced field since the induced field 'fights' the external field via Lenz's law.

But in all the above if R is large (R/L >> 1/w) then the effects of self-induction can be ignored, since then the induced current will be small and so will the self-induced B field.

Last edited:
My answer was marked wrong, so I think I'll have to go back and take self-induction into account. Thanks to the both of you for your fast responses - I appreciate it a lot!

kez said:
My answer was marked wrong, so I think I'll have to go back and take self-induction into account. Thanks to the both of you for your fast responses - I appreciate it a lot!

Well, you're the one in ten who doesn't abandon the thread after their original post!
Hint for you: Instead of just Ri = -N d(phi)/dt, add a term L di/dt.

You can probably ignore the transient part of the answer (assume the B field was present a long time).

1. What is the formula for calculating the current through a loop as a function of time?

The formula for calculating the current through a loop as a function of time is I(t) = (1/R)(∫E(t)dt), where I(t) represents the current at time t, R is the resistance of the loop, and E(t) is the electromotive force at time t.

2. How is the current through a loop affected by changes in time?

The current through a loop is affected by changes in time due to the changes in the electromotive force. As the electromotive force changes, the current through the loop also changes.

3. What factors can affect the current through a loop as a function of time?

The factors that can affect the current through a loop as a function of time include the resistance of the loop, the electromotive force, and any changes in the magnetic flux through the loop.

4. How is the current through a loop related to the magnetic field?

The current through a loop is related to the magnetic field through Faraday's law of induction, which states that a changing magnetic field can induce an electromotive force in a loop, resulting in a current through the loop.

5. Can the current through a loop be negative?

Yes, the current through a loop can be negative. This can occur when the direction of the current is opposite to the direction of conventional current flow, or when the electromotive force and resistance are such that the current flows in the opposite direction than expected.