1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expression of Acceleration and velocity

1. Sep 20, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The position of an object of mass m is given by:
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/62/20110920161443.jpg/
    Find expression for the velocity and the acceleration and deduce the force components acting on the particle.
    2. Relevant equations
    W = vr, v = u+at , f = ma
    v = d/t

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was thinking of finding out the magnitude of the position (by squaring them followed by square root),so then I could divide position by time to get velocity then use SUVAT equation but so far I have achieved nothing sensible.. I would like to know am I on the right track ?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I don't think so.

You have r as a (vector) function of t. v is defined as dr/dt, and a is defined as dv/dt.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  4. Sep 20, 2011 #3

lanedance

Homework Helper

you can just differentiate the components to find the velocity (once) and acceleration (twice) components

I see no need for taking the magnitude, unless it asks for one

deduce the force using f=ma in component form

5. Sep 21, 2011 #4
    Thanks for your replies everyone!
    Hm.. if I have understood the above posts correct then is this working of mine , right ?
    r = (at+bt^2) i +4j + (Ce^-4t sin wt) k

Right, so by differentiating each components separately once i.e the first derivative should give me vector function of velocity.

component z becomes (at+bt^2) becomes: (t +2t) , 4J becomes J , and for the last component I use chain rule (un sure , I don't think product rule is appropriate)
    (ce^-4t sinwt) k = (-4te^-4t cos w ) k

Am I right? I am slightly confused about the 'constants' .....
    hmm

6. Sep 21, 2011 #5

Mark44

Most of what you wrote is incorrect.
    For the x (not z) component, d/dt(at + bt2) [itex]\neq[/itex] t + 2t.
    For the y component, d/dt(4) [itex]\neq[/itex] 1.
    For the z component, you need to find d/dt(Ce-4tsin(wt)). To do that, you will need to use the product rule, and then the chain rule (twice).

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  7. Sep 21, 2011 #6
    Thanks for the reply, could you tell me what exactly happens to the constants ?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2011
  8. Sep 21, 2011 #7

Mark44

d/dt(K) = 0 and d/dt(a*f(t)) = a * f'(t)

9. Sep 21, 2011 #8
    Sorry but I am further lost with the above expression.
    Oh as for the derivative of 4j goes.. wouldn't that be 4 and a+2bt for i , so do the constants stay as they are ?
    I think that makes sense since a 'constant' is any integer... for example if a was replaced by 3t then the derivative of that in respect to time would have been 3.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  10. Sep 21, 2011 #9

Mark44

The first one says that the derivative of a constant is zero.

The second one says that the derivative of a constant times a function is the constant times the derivative of the function.

If you are finding derivatives of vector-valued functions, and you don't know these differentiation rules, you are in big trouble!

Look in your book at some examples of differentiating vector-valued functions. You don't actually differentiate the unit vectors i, j, and k. d/dt(4) [itex]\neq[/itex] 4. For the other one, yes, d/dt(at + bt2) = a + 2bt

11. Sep 21, 2011 #10

Mark44

No, a constant is a fixed number. It could be an integer, but it doesn't have to be. For example, in the expression [itex]\pi x[/itex], [itex]\pi[/itex] is a constant, but it isn't an integer.
    But a is a constant, so it doesn't depend on any variable. That's why it's constant.

12. Sep 21, 2011 #11
    Thanks that makes much sense now.. sorry , I thought f and a above were force and acceleration.
    Oh I see.. yea how stupid can I be... ijk denote Axis... That was very sloppy of me...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook