Deriving the Force-Position Relationship for a Spring Powered Model Car

In summary, the conversation is about the design of an experimental spring powered model car, where the speed of the car increases as it travels further. The relationship between speed and distance is given as v(x) = C|x|, with C being a constant and x being the position of the car. The conversation then moves on to deriving an expression for the force provided by the spring as a function of distance and calculating the work done by the spring as it moves the car from x0 to xf. The equations used are F=ma, W = Fd cosθ, and W spring = ΔKE = 1/2*k*(xf2 - xi2). The participants also discuss how to find the acceleration given the velocity function, and
prodigy803

Homework Statement

In your design of an experimental spring powered model car, you note that the speed of
the car (mass Mc) increases as the car travels further. The exact relationship is that v(x) =
C|x|, where C is a constant and x is the position of the car with respect to the starting
position.

a) Derive an expression for the force provided by the spring as a function of distance.
b) How much work does the spring do as it moves the cart from x0 to xf?

Homework Equations

F=ma
W = Fd cosθ
W spring = ΔKE = 1/2*k*(xf2 - xi2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought of integrating the velocity to get the position function but since the velocity given is the velocity as a function of position, I'm not exactly sure where to go with that. Any advice would be great! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
How might you figure out the acceleration, given the velocity function?

Well acceleration is dv/dt. But since the velocity given is a function of position would it be equivalent? Setup the equation as v(X) = dv/dt?

Giving me v(X)dt = dv, then integrate with tfand t0 as the limits?

Or can I take the derivative with respect to position rather than time?

For example:
d/dx [v(X)] = d/dx [C|x|]

I'm just not confident in doing so for some reason. Just because everything is usually taken with respect to time.

prodigy803 said:
Well acceleration is dv/dt. But since the velocity given is a function of position would it be equivalent?
You'll take the derivative (d/dt) of the velocity function.

prodigy803 said:
Setup the equation as v(X) = dv/dt?
I think you mean a = dv/dt. Try it!

What is an expression of force?

An expression of force is a mathematical representation that describes the relationship between force and other variables such as mass, acceleration, and distance. It is often used in physics to calculate the magnitude and direction of a force acting on an object.

How do you derive an expression of force?

To derive an expression of force, you must first understand the relevant physical principles and laws that govern the situation. Then, you can use mathematical methods such as Newton's laws of motion and vector analysis to determine the relationship between force and other variables.

What factors affect the expression of force?

The expression of force is affected by several factors, including the mass of the object, the acceleration it experiences, and the distance between objects. Other factors, such as the type of force (e.g. gravitational, electromagnetic), may also play a role in the expression.

Why is it important to have an expression of force?

An expression of force allows scientists to quantitatively analyze and understand the forces acting on objects in a given situation. It also allows for predictions and calculations, which are crucial in fields such as engineering and physics.

What are some real-world applications of an expression of force?

An expression of force has many real-world applications, such as calculating the force needed to launch a rocket into space, determining the tension in a bridge, or analyzing the forces exerted on a car during a collision. It is also used in everyday objects, such as calculating the force needed to open a door or lift a book.