Extending Linearly Independent Vectors to Create a Basis in R^4

  • Thread starter Thread starter TiberiusK
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Linearly Set
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
TiberiusK
Messages
24
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Let u1 = (2; 1; 1; 1) and u2 = (4; 2; 2;-1).I need to extend the linearly independent set u1 and u2 to obtain a basis of R^4.

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


u1 and u2 are linearly independent since both vectors are non-zero and none is a multiple of the other ,I should probably choose 2 other vector u3 and u4 such that I have a matrix of rank 4,since R^4, and to keep the linearly independece ...but what should I do next?Can someone please explain to me?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi TiberiusK! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 icons just above the Reply box :wink:)
TiberiusK said:
u1 and u2 are linearly independent since both vectors are non-zero and none is a multiple of the other ,I should probably choose 2 other vector u3 and u4 such that I have a matrix of rank 4,since R^4, and to keep the linearly independece ...but what should I do next?Can someone please explain to me?

any two vectors will do …

choose the simplest you can think of (and of course check that all four are linearly independent) :wink: