Extending Linearly Independent Vectors to Create a Basis in R^4

In summary, to obtain a basis of R^4 from the linearly independent vectors u1 and u2, two additional vectors u3 and u4 must be chosen such that the resulting matrix has a rank of 4 and maintains linear independence. Any two vectors can be chosen, as long as they are linearly independent.
TiberiusK

Homework Statement

Let u1 = (2; 1; 1; 1) and u2 = (4; 2; 2;-1).I need to extend the linearly independent set u1 and u2 to obtain a basis of R^4.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

u1 and u2 are linearly independent since both vectors are non-zero and none is a multiple of the other ,I should probably choose 2 other vector u3 and u4 such that I have a matrix of rank 4,since R^4, and to keep the linearly independece ...but what should I do next?Can someone please explain to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi TiberiusK! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 icons just above the Reply box :wink:)
TiberiusK said:
u1 and u2 are linearly independent since both vectors are non-zero and none is a multiple of the other ,I should probably choose 2 other vector u3 and u4 such that I have a matrix of rank 4,since R^4, and to keep the linearly independece ...but what should I do next?Can someone please explain to me?

any two vectors will do …

choose the simplest you can think of (and of course check that all four are linearly independent) :wink:

1. What is a linearly set?

A linearly set is a collection of objects that can be arranged in a linear order, such as numbers on a number line or words in a sentence. This means that each object has a unique predecessor and successor in the set.

2. How can a linearly set be extended?

A linearly set can be extended by adding new objects to the existing set, while maintaining the linear order of the objects. This can be done by inserting the new objects in the appropriate position in the set.

3. What is the purpose of extending a linearly set?

The purpose of extending a linearly set is to increase the size and scope of the set, allowing for more possibilities and variations. This can be useful in mathematical and scientific applications, as well as in everyday life.

4. Are there any limitations to extending a linearly set?

Yes, there are limitations to extending a linearly set. The main limitation is that the linear order of the objects in the set must be maintained, meaning that new objects must be inserted in the correct position. Additionally, the size of the set may also be limited by practical or physical constraints.

5. How is extending a linearly set different from extending a non-linear set?

Extending a linearly set is different from extending a non-linear set in that the linear order of the objects must be maintained in a linearly set, while a non-linear set does not have a specific order or sequence. Additionally, extending a linearly set is typically more straightforward and predictable compared to extending a non-linear set.