Extracting CuCl2 from used PCB etchant.

• Thread starter physicscience
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pcb
In summary, the conversation was about extracting copper chloride from a used pcb etchant solution. The initial etchant used was ferric chloride, which reacts with copper to produce FeCl2 and CuCl2 in a dark colored solution. The question was how to separate the two compounds from each other. The person asking was primarily interested in extracting the copper chloride, but also wanted to know how to recover copper and turn it into copper chloride if necessary. They mentioned that they have not tried any alternatives to ferric chloride, which is currently the easiest etching solution they have access to.
physicscience
Greetings all. I was wondering if any of you would know how exactly to extract copper chloride (CuCl2) from a solution of used pcb etchant. I know that when you react ferric chloride (the initial etchant) with copper, the products are FeCl2 and CuCl2 dissolved in a dark colored solution but how would i separate the 2 from there? I don't think boiling would help. If any of you know that would be great. Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Are you interested just in recovering the copper? Or the copper chloride?

Bystander said:
Are you interested just in recovering the copper? Or the copper chloride?
I'm interesting in extracting the copper chloride but if that if not directly possible, I would also like to know how to recover the copper and then turn it into copper chloride.

Are you interested in an alternative to ferric chloride? No, I haven't tried it. http://m.instructables.com/id/Stop-using-Ferric-Chloride-etchant!--A-better-etc/

NascentOxygen said:
Are you interested in an alternative to ferric chloride? No, I haven't tried it. http://m.instructables.com/id/Stop-using-Ferric-Chloride-etchant!--A-better-etc/
So far, ferric chloride is the easiest obtainable etching solution I have at my disposal.

1. What is the process of extracting CuCl2 from used PCB etchant?

The process of extracting CuCl2 from used PCB etchant involves several steps. First, the used etchant is filtered to remove any solid particles. Then, the filtered solution is treated with a reducing agent, such as sodium metabisulfite, to convert CuCl2 into solid copper. The solid copper is then separated from the solution through filtration. The remaining solution is then treated with hydrochloric acid to regenerate CuCl2, which can be reused for etching.

2. What materials and equipment are needed for extracting CuCl2 from used PCB etchant?

The materials needed for extracting CuCl2 from used PCB etchant include the used etchant, a reducing agent (such as sodium metabisulfite), hydrochloric acid, and water. The equipment needed includes a filter, beakers or other containers for mixing and separating the solution, and a heat source (such as a hot plate) if heat is required during the process.

3. Can the extracted CuCl2 be reused for etching?

Yes, the CuCl2 extracted from used PCB etchant can be reused for etching. After the extraction process, the CuCl2 is regenerated and can be used for etching more PCBs. This not only saves money but also reduces the amount of hazardous waste produced.

4. Are there any safety precautions to take when extracting CuCl2 from used PCB etchant?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to take when extracting CuCl2 from used PCB etchant. The process should be done in a well-ventilated area, as some of the chemicals used can produce harmful fumes. Protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, should also be worn. Proper disposal of the used etchant and other chemicals is also important.

5. Are there any alternative methods for extracting CuCl2 from used PCB etchant?

Yes, there are alternative methods for extracting CuCl2 from used PCB etchant. One method involves using electrolysis to separate the copper ions from the etchant solution. Another method is to use a solvent extraction process, which involves using an organic solvent to extract the copper ions from the solution. However, the method described in the first question is the most commonly used and effective method for extracting CuCl2 from used PCB etchant.