Extremely low on resistance LDR?

In summary: It's a bit like the story of 'The Emperor's New Clothes'. The Emperor is wearing clothes that are so splendid that no one can see that he is not wearing anything underneath. All of the courtiers are amazed and say how wonderful the clothes are. The Emperor is pleased and says 'thank you, I have invented something so wonderful that is going to revolutionise the world'. However, no one listens to him when he tells them what the clothes are really for.
coinmaster
I need a variable AC attenuator and the only thing I can think of is an LDR.
However I would need the on resistance to be very low, less than 10 ohms.

I've only found LDRs with on resistances of 100ohms minimum.
Is it possible to go lower than the listed minimum is I use a really really bright light?

Engineering news on Phys.org
coinmaster said:
I need a variable AC attenuator and the only thing I can think of is an LDR.
However I would need the on resistance to be very low, less than 10 ohms.

I've only found LDRs with on resistances of 100ohms minimum.
Is it possible to go lower than the listed minimum is I use a really really bright light?
Can you say more about your circuit requirements? There are other ways to make variable attenuators. What are your voltage and current requirements?

berkeman said:
Can you say more about your circuit requirements? There are other ways to make variable attenuators. What are your voltage and current requirements?

Hmmm, voltage requirements will probably be very wide, from -600 to 0v maybe. Current will be 0-100ma.

coinmaster said:
Hmmm, voltage requirements will probably be very wide, from -600 to 0v maybe. Current will be 0-100ma.
You said "AC attenuator". What frequencies? Can you say what the application is? What range of attenuation do you need?

Audio frequencies. The application is an amplifier where I need an adjustable impedance at a DC bias point. The DC adjustment will be done via a source follower but the signal needs a separately adjustable attenuation.

I tried using a mosfet in LTspice in parallel with a resistor to create a variable resistance but for some reason it never reaches the source voltage when the resistance becomes zero. For example if the source voltage is 100v then at zero resistance the other size of the resistor should be 100v, but it comes out much lower. Is this a glitch in LTspice or is there some reason for this?

coinmaster said:
Audio frequencies. The application is an amplifier where I need an adjustable impedance at a DC bias point. The DC adjustment will be done via a source follower but the signal needs a separately adjustable attenuation.
Can you post a block diagram of what you are trying to do?

Screenshot_5.png

Source follower sets the bias voltage for the load. I need to adjust the AC signal as well, hence my problem.

Last edited:
coinmaster said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/96634
Source follower sets the bias voltage for the load. I need to adjust the AC signal as well, hence my problem.
I'm not able to see the circuit parts -- they are too light for my viewer. Can you post a darker/enhanced version? Thanks.

Edited.

I am not sure what it is but I have wondered about the capacitance of LDRs. I too had the same idea long long ago about using them in pi network configuration as a variable attenuator but someone mentioned that their internal capacitance may not be suitable for this. Something to keep in mind.

I just did a quick reference of an LDR datasheet, It showed a 5pf capacitance. Doesn't seem like enough to affect the frequency response, the mosfet has more gate capacitance.
The problem is LDRs don't have a low enough on resistance.
I'm wondering if I use an extra bright light source I can exceed the datasheet specs.

Last edited:
coinmaster said:
I just did a quick reference of an LDR datasheet, It showed a 5pf capacitance. Doesn't seem like enough to affect the frequency response, the mosfet has more gate capacitance.
The problem is LDRs don't have a low enough on resistance.
I'm wondering if I use an extra bright light source I can exceed the datasheet specs.
How low do you need to go?

Optimally, under 1 ohm. Basically as far low as possible.

Care to explain a little more what you are trying to do? Maybe there is a way for the circuit to be changed? I am curious to know more about this.

Um, I would love to give you a schematic but this is for a product I've spent countless hours on developing so I'd prefer not to.
I don't think there is another way though, it's a difficult hurdle to get around.

coinmaster said:
Um, I would love to give you a schematic but this is for a product I've spent countless hours on developing so I'd prefer not to.

ohhh dear, how often we hear that cry :rolleyes::rolleyes:

"I have invented something so wonderful that is going to revolutionise the world"

it's hard for people to help you if you won't let them help by sharing the appropriate infoD

davenn said:
ohhh dear, how often we hear that cry :rolleyes:
D
I'm sure :-p

Well that is one of the pains of inventing. Often times there is a case where many people know that 'if it weren't for THIS, then a whole new process for THAT could be implemented'. It is the one guy who overcomes the THIS who stands to gain. So tell me, do you think someone will solve a problem like THIS on an internet forum? Suspecting you are up against such a thing why would anyone even choose to? I recall a number of years ago I was in your situation and asked a question on this forum about whether a specific part exists off the shelf. I got lots of questions and suggestions. I was not in a position to reveal any more information so I just had to live with doing it the hard way and take a chance of reinventing the wheel so to speak. Lesson learned.

What is an Extremely low on resistance LDR?

An Extremely low on resistance LDR (Light Dependent Resistor) is a type of electronic component that exhibits a low resistance when exposed to light. It is also known as a photoresistor or photocell.

What are the applications of Extremely low on resistance LDR?

Extremely low on resistance LDRs are commonly used in light sensors, automatic lighting systems, and camera light meters. They can also be used in solar panels, burglar alarms, and streetlights.

How do Extremely low on resistance LDRs work?

Extremely low on resistance LDRs work by utilizing the photoconductive properties of certain materials. When light hits the LDR, the conductivity of the material increases, resulting in a decrease in resistance. This change in resistance can be measured and used to control other electronic components.

What are the advantages of Extremely low on resistance LDRs?

One of the main advantages of Extremely low on resistance LDRs is their low cost. They are also simple to use and require minimal additional circuitry. They are also highly sensitive to light, making them suitable for a wide range of applications.

What factors can affect the performance of Extremely low on resistance LDRs?

The performance of Extremely low on resistance LDRs can be affected by ambient light, temperature, and humidity. They may also exhibit a slow response time and can be prone to noise interference. It is important to carefully select and calibrate the LDR for each specific application.