Eye's response to electromagnetic (light) waves?

In summary, the eye's retina contains rods and cones, which detect the energy of photons rather than EM fields. In the visible range, these fields change direction about 1014 times a second. The eye can also respond to the average energy deposited by the EM fields. A helpful resource for understanding photoreceptor cells and their role in vision is the Wikipedia article on the topic.
Physics news on Phys.org
It's a photon (quantum) interaction so that's the best way to describe the event, rather than in terms of waves.

I believe the eye detects photon energy, not EM fields. If you don't like photons, then the eye responds to the average energy deposited by the EM fields. Don't forget that in the visible range these fields change direction about 1014 times a second. Did you come across this article when you searched?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photoreceptor_cell

Thanks for the quantum and wikipedia comments. Since I didn't use the word photoreceptor I wasn't successful. I guess I was too Maxwellian. That wiki article is fascinating along with the great illustrations. Now I can really appreciate my vision.

1. How do eyes detect and respond to electromagnetic waves?

Eyes have specialized cells called photoreceptors that are sensitive to light. These cells contain a pigment called rhodopsin that absorbs light and converts it into electrical signals. These signals then travel to the brain, where they are interpreted as visual information.

2. What are the different types of photoreceptors in the eye?

The two main types of photoreceptors in the eye are rods and cones. Rods are sensitive to low levels of light and are responsible for night vision. Cones are responsible for color vision and are sensitive to bright light. There are three types of cones, each sensitive to different wavelengths of light, which allows us to perceive a full range of colors.

3. How does the eye respond to different wavelengths of light?

The eye's response to different wavelengths of light is determined by the type of photoreceptor that is activated. Shorter wavelengths of light (blue and violet) are detected by the S-cones, medium wavelengths (green and yellow) are detected by the M-cones, and longer wavelengths (red and orange) are detected by the L-cones. The combination of these signals allows us to see a full spectrum of colors.

4. Can the eye respond to other forms of electromagnetic radiation?

Yes, the eye can respond to other forms of electromagnetic radiation such as infrared and ultraviolet light. However, our visual system is not sensitive to these types of radiation. Infrared light is detected by specialized heat-sensitive cells in the eye, while ultraviolet light is filtered out by the cornea and lens before it reaches the retina.

5. How does the brain interpret the signals sent from the eye's photoreceptors?

The brain interprets the signals sent from the eye's photoreceptors by comparing the signals received from different types of cones. This allows us to perceive different colors and shades. The brain also takes into account other visual cues, such as contrast and depth, to create a complete image. This process is known as visual perception and is a complex and ongoing process that helps us make sense of the world around us.