1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fabry-Perot Etalon

1. Aug 20, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Design a Fabry-Perot etalon that can resolve the longitudinal modes of a 514 nm laser. The laser is 2 m long.The FWHM of the gain spectrum is 8.8 GHz. What value of d (separation) and R (reflectivity) must be chosen?

2. Relevant equations

Finesse coefficient is:

##F=\frac{4R}{(1-R)^2}##

Full width half maximum relationship to free spectral range (intermode spacing):

##FWHM = FSR/\mathcal{F}##

3. The attempt at a solution

The finesse is given by

##\mathcal{F} = \frac{2\pi}{FWHM} = \frac{2 \pi}{8.8 \times 10^{9}} = \frac{\pi \sqrt{R}}{1-R}=\frac{\pi\sqrt{F}}{2}=7.14\times 10^{-10}##

##FWHM = \frac{4}{\sqrt{F}} \implies F=2.066 \times 10^{-19}##

So why do I get such small and unrealistic numbers? (a typical value of finesse is ~100 for a reflectivity of 97%)

Furthermore, I don't know how to calculate R from:

##\frac{2}{8.8 \times 10^9}=\frac{\sqrt{R}}{1-R}##

My calculator solver gives a value of 2.78x1020, which again is an unrealistic number for reflectivity. So what is wrong with my calculations? :confused:

As for the required length of the etalon, I think we want the mode spacing (FSR) to be greater than or equal to the the separation between longitudinal modes of the laser:

##\frac{c}{2d} \geq \frac{c}{2nl_{laser}}=75 \times 10^6 \ Hz##

Is that right?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?