Calculating Factor of Safety: Ultimate Tensile Strength and Shear for 7mm Bolt

• Thread starter bcoolbelal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Safety
In summary, the factor of safety is the ratio between the ultimate tensile strength and the applied load on a bolt. In this specific scenario, the factor of safety is 2 for tensile strength and 2.5 for shear strength. The method to determine these numbers involves calculating the actual tensile load on the bolt in the angled joint and comparing it to the ultimate tensile strength of the material.
bcoolbelal
**factor of safety**

Homework Statement

Im having problems with this, any help would be much appreciated

http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz190…

The material for the bolt shown in the angled joint above has an ultimate tensile strength of 218 MPa and a shear of 230 MPa. The diameter of the bolt is 7mm. Determine the factor of safety in operation.

i know for fact that the factor of safety is 2 and 2.5 but i need to know the method how to get t these number

thankxx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i have no idea how to even starts

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

I can't see the image, but I imagine that you need to determine what the *actual* tensile load on the bolt is in this system. The safety factor is, of course, just the factor by which the tensile strength of the bolt is larger than the load on it.

sory for this prob try this link

http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz190/bcoolbelal/Untitled.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the purpose of calculating the factor of safety for a 7mm bolt?

The factor of safety is a measure of the structural integrity and safety of a bolt. It compares the ultimate tensile strength and shear strength of the bolt to the expected load it will experience in its intended application. A higher factor of safety indicates a more reliable and safe bolt.

How is the ultimate tensile strength of a 7mm bolt determined?

The ultimate tensile strength of a bolt is typically determined through destructive testing, where the bolt is pulled until it breaks. This value is then used in the factor of safety calculation.

What is the difference between ultimate tensile strength and shear strength?

Ultimate tensile strength refers to the amount of force a bolt can withstand before breaking under tension, while shear strength refers to the amount of force a bolt can withstand before breaking under shear stress (parallel to the bolt's axis). Both values are important in calculating the factor of safety.

What factors can affect the factor of safety for a 7mm bolt?

The factor of safety can be affected by several factors, including the material of the bolt, its size and shape, the installation method, and the expected load and environment in which it will be used. It is important to consider all these factors when calculating the factor of safety.

How can the factor of safety for a 7mm bolt be improved?

The factor of safety can be improved by using a bolt with a higher ultimate tensile strength or shear strength, increasing the size or number of bolts, or using alternative installation methods such as preloading or using adhesives. It is important to carefully consider all options and make informed decisions to ensure the safety and reliability of the bolt.