Factoring 3rd degree polynomial for eigenvalues

In summary: In this case you can put x = -y to find that the polynomial has the form p(x) = -q(y), where ##q(y) = y^3 + 7 y^2 + 15 y +9##. Obviously, q(y) does not have any positive roots (all its coefficients are > 0), so p(x) does not have any negative roots. This type of trick does not always work, but it happens to be OK in this example. Even if it did not work, you could just try out all the factors of -9 to see if one of them sets p(x) = 0. As soon as you find one that works you can stop checking and start again
hops1

Homework Statement

Was given a matrix
To find the eigenvalues I set up the characteristic equation
[-1-x | 7 | -5 ]
[-4 | 11-x | -6 ]
[-4 | 8 | -3-x]

With some dirty work I got this bad boy out, which I'm having trouble factoring
-x3+7x2-15x+9

Homework Equations

Looking for method to factor it, without aid of calculator
Or if there's a better way to determine the equation which will give me the factors without setting up a polynomial

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried the grouping method but that doesn't work since all I end up with is
-x2(x-7)+3(5x-3)

Physics news on Phys.org
hops1 said:

Homework Statement

Was given a matrix
To find the eigenvalues I set up the characteristic equation
[-1-x | 7 | -5 ]
[-4 | 11-x | -6 ]
[-4 | 8 | -3-x]

With some dirty work I got this bad boy out, which I'm having trouble factoring
-x3+7x2-15x+9

Homework Equations

Looking for method to factor it, without aid of calculator
Or if there's a better way to determine the equation which will give me the factors without setting up a polynomial

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried the grouping method but that doesn't work since all I end up with is
-x2(x-7)+3(5x-3)

Use the rational root theorem on the polynomial ##x^3 - 7x^2 + 15 x - 9##; that is, look for roots among the + or - integer factors of -9.

Ray Vickson said:
Use the rational root theorem on the polynomial ##x^3 - 7x^2 + 15 x - 9##; that is, look for roots among the + or - integer factors of -9.

Thanks I forgot about that theorem.
But how do I rule out the negative or positive integers?

You can rule out a potential root r by discovering that x - r is not a factor of your cubic polynomial. The rational root theorem says that the possible rational roots for your cubic are 1, -1, 3, -3, 9, and -9.

Use either long division or synthetic division to determine whether x - 1, x - (-1), x - 3, x - (-3), x - 9, or x - (-9) are factors. If one of these is a factor, the remainder will be zero. If it's not a factor, the remainder will be nonzero.

Mark44 said:
You can rule out a potential root r by discovering that x - r is not a factor of your cubic polynomial. The rational root theorem says that the possible rational roots for your cubic are 1, -1, 3, -3, 9, and -9.

Use either long division or synthetic division to determine whether x - 1, x - (-1), x - 3, x - (-3), x - 9, or x - (-9) are factors. If one of these is a factor, the remainder will be zero. If it's not a factor, the remainder will be nonzero.

Thanks

hops1 said:
Thanks I forgot about that theorem.
But how do I rule out the negative or positive integers?

In this case you can put x = -y to find that the polynomial has the form p(x) = -q(y), where ##q(y) = y^3 + 7 y^2 + 15 y +9##. Obviously, q(y) does not have any positive roots (all its coefficients are > 0), so p(x) does not have any negative roots. This type of trick does not always work, but it happens to be OK in this example. Even if it did not work, you could just try out all the factors of -9 to see if one of them sets p(x) = 0. As soon as you find one that works you can stop checking and start again with the resulting quadratic remaining factor.

1. What is factoring a 3rd degree polynomial for eigenvalues?

Factoring a 3rd degree polynomial for eigenvalues is the process of finding the roots or solutions of a third degree polynomial equation, where the coefficients of the polynomial represent the eigenvalues of a square matrix. This is often used in linear algebra to solve for the eigenvalues of a matrix.

2. Why is it important to factor 3rd degree polynomials for eigenvalues?

Factoring 3rd degree polynomials for eigenvalues is important because it allows us to find the eigenvalues of a matrix, which are crucial in understanding the behavior and properties of the matrix. Eigenvalues are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and data analysis.

3. What are the steps involved in factoring a 3rd degree polynomial for eigenvalues?

The steps involved in factoring a 3rd degree polynomial for eigenvalues include setting up the characteristic polynomial, finding the roots of the polynomial using techniques such as factoring, synthetic division, or the quadratic formula, and verifying the roots as eigenvalues by substituting them into the original matrix equation.

4. Can all 3rd degree polynomials be factored for eigenvalues?

No, not all 3rd degree polynomials can be factored for eigenvalues. Some polynomials may have complex roots, which cannot be used as eigenvalues for real matrices. Additionally, some polynomials may have repeated roots, which can affect the dimension of the eigenspace.

5. What is the significance of eigenvalues in linear algebra?

Eigenvalues are significant in linear algebra because they provide information about the behavior and properties of a matrix. They can determine the stability, invertibility, and diagonalizability of a matrix, and they are used in various applications such as data compression, image processing, and differential equations.