1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Factoring a complex equation:

1. Nov 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A simple way to factor the left hand side of the given equation.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I would, just that i am confused on eactly how to.

Could anyone help me simplify by factoring the left hand side of this equation in an easy and sensible manner?

Thanks up-front.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2008 #2
    That's one of your common terms.
    [tex]({\frac{\frac{a^2}{b}}{b}})^2 = \frac{\frac{a^4}{b^2}}{b^2}[/tex]
  4. Nov 11, 2008 #3

5. Nov 11, 2008 #4
    that wont work. if you multiply out something like:
    [tex](A+B) * (A+B)[/tex]
    you get
    [tex](A^2 + 2AB + B^2)[/tex]

the expression you wanted to simplify is in the form of
    [tex](A^2 - A^2B + B^2)[/tex]
    if you had
    [tex]A = E[/tex]
    [tex]B = \frac{\frac{F^2vt}{c}}{M}[/tex]

looking at the whole equation, couldn't you have subtracted [tex](\frac{\frac{F^4v^2t^2}{c^2}}{M^2})[/tex]
    from both sides and just end up with a simple
  6. Nov 11, 2008 #5

You see, i am quite familiar with simple factoring of equations. I am just getting very confused with all these symbols and how to use them when i do factorize. Could you not just show me please, and put me out of my misery. My heads sore.

As for the latter question friend, the added [tex](\frac{\frac{F^4v^2t^2}{c^2}}{M^2})[/tex] I cannot subtract.
  7. Nov 11, 2008 #6
    Why don't you just work with the equation above instead of all that mess? It's much easier to work with 2 variables, A and B rather than all that frazzle dazzle. The purpose of this forum is not to give out answers but provide hints. See if you can factor

You can rewrite the equation above to:
    [tex]-(A^2(B-1) - B^2)[/tex]
    That's a difference of two squares factorization.
  8. Nov 11, 2008 #7
    Agreed. That way is so much easier.

If that is all, thanks a bunch. It was really helpful.
  9. Nov 11, 2008 #8
    (But i'll still try and solve this - I'm not off yet ;) ) Plus, i've never seen an equation of the form [tex](A^2-A^2B+B)[/tex]... i don't get out much. :)
  10. Nov 11, 2008 #9
    I need to ask so i understand this more clearly, you want me to substitute the B's of [tex](A^2+A^2B+B^2)[/tex] for [tex]\frac{\frac{F^2vt}{c}}{M}[/tex], but what about [tex]\frac{\frac{F^4v^2t^2}{c^2}}{M^2}[/tex]? Is this going to be A? What about [tex]E^2-E^2[/tex]?

I am a terrible problem solver. There is quicker way through this, and trying to get through my thick skull as noble as it is, is not it.
  11. Nov 11, 2008 #10
    If you let
    [tex]B = \frac{\frac{F^2vt}{c}}{M}[/tex]
    [tex]B^2 = \frac{\frac{F^4v^2t^2}{c^2}}{M^2}[/tex]

[tex]A = E[/tex]
    [tex]A^2 = E^2[/tex]
  12. Nov 11, 2008 #11
  13. Nov 11, 2008 #12
    So if you just keep in mind that A and B represents those things, once you've factored
    You can plug in the original values of A and B into your answer to get what you wanted in the first place.
  14. Nov 11, 2008 #13
    So why is there two [tex]A^2[/tex]'s in [tex](A^2-A^2B+B^2)[/tex] - just a typo?
  15. Nov 11, 2008 #14
    [tex]A = E[/tex]
    And there are two [tex]E^2[/tex]'s in the original expression.
  16. Nov 11, 2008 #15
    Oh no, i get it now... my mistake
  17. Nov 11, 2008 #16
    Oh please can you just show me. I am trying over at this end, but none of the answers i got i don't like. Just tell me please?
  18. Nov 11, 2008 #17
    Is this what you are on about? [tex](A^2-B)(A^2+B^2)[/tex]... No?
  19. Nov 11, 2008 #18
    It's similar to that, but there's a sleight of hands because of the [tex]-A^2B[/tex] term inside. I gave you a pretty good hint [tex]-(A^2(B-1) - B^2)[/tex]... You're almost there!! =D
  20. Nov 11, 2008 #19
    Patience please, but what is the (minus one) part? Why has it been plugged in there? I need to know these things, otherwise i am lost. I assume it has something to do with subtracting one of the [tex]E^2[/tex]?
  21. Nov 11, 2008 #20
    Nope the minus sign in there is just another sleight of hands. Multiply it out and you should verify that:
    [tex]-(A^2(B-1) - B^2) = A^2 - A^2B + B^2[/tex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?