1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Factoring A difference of fifths

1. Sep 12, 2011 #1
    One of the homework questions i did tonight was (x^5-32)/(x-2), where i had to find the limit when x approaches two. In order to do this i looked up the formula to use for a difference of fifths and was able to solve the question by factoring out the denominator and putting two in for x, giving me an answer of 80.

I am wondering if there is a much simpler way of solving this which i foolishly missed as we are definitely not expected to know the formula for a difference of fifths and i'm not sure it is easily derived. If anyone can spot one or argue that there isn't one that would be great! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2011 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

L'hôpital's rule is probably the easiest.

Doing the polynomial division is a close second, I think.

4. Sep 12, 2011 #3
    having not learned derivatives yet i suppose the method i indicated is the most suitable then?

5. Sep 13, 2011 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It is generally true that [itex]x^n- y^n= (x- y)(x^{n-1}+ x^{n-2}y+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ xy^{n-2}+ y^{n-1})[/itex].

That seems the best method to me. You should not have to "look it up".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook