Factoring A difference of fifths

In summary, the student discusses solving a homework question involving a limit where x approaches two. They used a formula for a difference of fifths and factored out the denominator to find the answer of 80. They wonder if there is a simpler method and mention L'Hôpital's rule as a potential option. Another method involving polynomial division is also suggested, but the student decides that their initial method is the most suitable since they have not learned derivatives yet. They also mention that the formula used should not have to be looked up.
PhysicsAdvice
One of the homework questions i did tonight was (x^5-32)/(x-2), where i had to find the limit when x approaches two. In order to do this i looked up the formula to use for a difference of fifths and was able to solve the question by factoring out the denominator and putting two in for x, giving me an answer of 80.

I am wondering if there is a much simpler way of solving this which i foolishly missed as we are definitely not expected to know the formula for a difference of fifths and I'm not sure it is easily derived. If anyone can spot one or argue that there isn't one that would be great! :)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
PhysicsAdvice said:
One of the homework questions i did tonight was (x^5-32)/(x-2), where i had to find the limit when x approaches two. In order to do this i looked up the formula to use for a difference of fifths and was able to solve the question by factoring out the denominator and putting two in for x, giving me an answer of 80.

I am wondering if there is a much simpler way of solving this which i foolishly missed as we are definitely not expected to know the formula for a difference of fifths and I'm not sure it is easily derived. If anyone can spot one or argue that there isn't one that would be great! :)

L'hôpital's rule is probably the easiest.

Doing the polynomial division is a close second, I think.

having not learned derivatives yet i suppose the method i indicated is the most suitable then?

It is generally true that [itex]x^n- y^n= (x- y)(x^{n-1}+ x^{n-2}y+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ xy^{n-2}+ y^{n-1})[/itex].

That seems the best method to me. You should not have to "look it up".

Great job on solving the problem! It seems like you used the correct method by factoring out the denominator and then plugging in the value for x. This is a common method for solving limits involving polynomials. As for a simpler way, it really depends on the level of math you are currently studying. If you are just starting to learn about limits, then this method is appropriate. However, if you are more advanced and have learned about derivatives, you could use L'Hopital's rule to solve this limit. This rule allows you to take the derivative of both the numerator and denominator and then plug in the value for x. In this case, you would have to use the power rule to take the derivative of x^5 and then evaluate it at x=2. This would give you the same answer of 80. So, while there may be alternative methods of solving this limit, the method you used is perfectly valid and appropriate for your current level of math understanding. Keep up the good work!

1. What is factoring a difference of fifths?

Factoring a difference of fifths is a mathematical process used to simplify expressions that involve a difference between two fifth powers. It involves finding the common factors between the two terms and factoring them out.

2. Why is factoring a difference of fifths important?

Factoring a difference of fifths is important because it allows us to simplify complex expressions and solve equations more easily. It also helps us to identify patterns and relationships between different terms.

3. How do you factor a difference of fifths?

To factor a difference of fifths, you can use the difference of squares formula (a2 - b2 = (a+b)(a-b)). You can also use a method called grouping, where you find common factors between the two terms and group them together.

4. What are the common mistakes when factoring a difference of fifths?

One common mistake is forgetting to factor out the greatest common factor (GCF) before using the difference of squares formula. Another mistake is incorrectly applying the formula, for example, forgetting to change the sign between the two terms.

5. Can factoring a difference of fifths be used in real-life applications?

Yes, factoring a difference of fifths can be used in real-life applications such as in physics and engineering, where it can be used to simplify equations and solve problems involving powers and exponents.