Factorising / Factoring formulas

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of factorizing a formula and the difference between the answer given by the individual and the answer given in the book. It is stated that while both answers are mathematically valid, it is generally expected to use the biggest factor possible in these types of problems. The individual's answer would likely not receive full marks in an exam, as the ability to factorize to the fullest extent is usually tested.
Gringo123
I had to factorise this formula. The answer that I came up with is below:

6ax - 12ay - 18a squared.

6(ax - 2ay - 3a squared)

My book says that the correct answer is:

6a(x - 2y - 3a)

Would my answer have been marked wrong in an exam? Why is the book's answer preferable to mine? What's the rule?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer is still mathematically valid, however in these types of problems it is generally expected that you use the biggest factor possible (biggest meaning the highest numeral possible, and all possible pronumerals). You correctly noted that 6 was a factor of each term, but you could have taken it a step further and noted that 6a was a factor also.

In my personal experience with exams and tests, your teacher would probably not give you full marks for your answer, as these types of problems are usually set to test your ability to factorize to the fullest extent.

Thank you once again for your help Danago!

FAQ: Factorising / Factoring formulas

What is factorising/factoring?

Factorising or factoring is the process of breaking down an algebraic expression into its constituent parts. It involves finding common factors that can be pulled out of the expression.

Why is factorising/factoring important?

Factorising/factoring is important because it helps simplify expressions and make them easier to work with. It also allows us to solve equations and find the roots of a polynomial function.

What are the different methods of factorising/factoring?

There are several methods of factorising/factoring, such as the greatest common factor, difference of squares, trinomial factoring, and grouping method. Each method is useful for different types of expressions.

How do I factorise/factor a polynomial?

To factorise/factor a polynomial, you need to first check if there is a common factor that can be pulled out. Then, you can use the appropriate method based on the type of polynomial. It may involve trial and error or using algebraic identities to simplify the expression.

Can I use factorising/factoring in real-life situations?

Yes, factorising/factoring can be used in real-life situations such as in finance, statistics, and engineering. For example, in finance, factoring can be used to calculate the present value of future cash flows, and in statistics, it can be used to simplify complex probability expressions.