Can substitution and factoring help simplify this integral?

• Thread starter Yegor
  • Start date
In summary: Therefore, I+J=\int \frac{1+u^{2}}{\left[u^{2}+u\left(\frac{1}{2}-i\sqrt{3}\right)-\frac{11}{16}-\frac{i\sqrt{3}}{4}\right]\left[u^{2}+u\left(\frac{1}{2}+i\sqrt{3}\right)-\frac{11}{16}+\frac{i\sqrt{3}}{4}\right]} \ du (10)
Yegor
[tex]\int\frac{1}{(\sin(x)+\frac{2}{\cos(x)})^2} dx[/tex]
I know that tan(x)=t works, but there are some problems with factorizing denominator and even after factorizing that integral isn't very simple. Does anyone see here any simplier substitution? thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Its [itex]tan(\frac{x}{2}) = t[/itex]. Try it. What are the problems?

Don't be afraid of this simple algebra.When doing integrals,you ought to be prepared for worst.

BTW,LaTex acknowledges the function "tangent",as long as you write it " \tan ".

Daniel.

In this case denominator is [tex]t^4-t^3+2t^2+t+1[/tex]. This i can't factorize also. Even Mathematica doesn't help.

Hm. Yes, I'm probably just too lazy today to work on algebra. But i have one more question about such problems. If i have polynomials with complex solutions what is the algorithm for factorizing them?
As examples:1) [tex]t^4-t^3+2t^2+t+1[/tex]
2) [tex]4t^4+4t^3+9t^2+4t+4[/tex]

It can't be.

[tex]I= \int \frac{dx}{\left(\sin x+\frac{2}{\cos x}\right)^{2}} [/tex] (1)

Make the sub

[tex] \tan\frac{x}{2}=t [/tex] (2)

An you'll get the integral

[tex] I=2\int \frac{\cos ^2\left( 2\arctan t\right) }{\left[ \sin \left( 2\arctan t\right) \cos \left( 2\arctan t\right) +2\right] ^2\left( 1+t^2\right) }\,dt [/tex] (3)

Then

[tex] \left\{\begin{array}{c} \cos \left( \arctan t\right) =\frac{1}{\sqrt{\left( 1+t^2\right) }}\\ \sin \left( \arctan t\right) =\frac {t}{\sqrt{\left( 1+t^2\right) }} \end{array} \right [/tex] (4)

Can you take it from here...?

Daniel.

Last edited:
dextercioby said:
Don't be afraid of this simple algebra.When doing integrals,you ought to be prepared for worst.

BTW,LaTex acknowledges the function "tangent",as long as you write it " \tan ".

Daniel.

Yeah I forgot. Thanks anyway.

[tex] \left{\begin{array}{c} \cos \left( 2\arctan t\right) =\frac{1-t^2}{{\left( 1+t^2\right) }}\\ \sin \left( 2\arctan t\right) =\frac {2t}{{\left( 1+t^2\right) }} \end{array} \right [/tex]

Yes, i did it dextercioby. This i have from it:
[tex]\int\frac{(1+t^2)(1-t^2)^2}{t^4-t^3+2t^2+t+1}[/tex]
OK. i can divide this fraction, but i can do nothing with denominator

Here's what i'd do.I denote your integral by "I".

[tex] I=:\int\frac{\cos^{2}x}{\left(\frac{1}{2}\sin 2x +2\right)^{2}} \ dx [/tex] (1)

I define its sister integral

[tex] J=:\int\frac{\sin^{2}x}{\left(\frac{1}{2}\sin 2x +2\right)^{2}} \ dx [/tex] (2)

The difference

[tex] I-J=\int \frac{\cos 2x}{\left(\frac{1}{2}\sin 2x +2\right)^{2}} \ dx =\int \frac{d\left(\frac{1}{2}\sin 2x +2\right)}{\left(\frac{1}{2}\sin 2x +2\right)^{2}} =-\frac{1}{\frac{1}{2}\sin 2x +2} [/tex] (3)

I'll concentrate on the sum.

To be continued.

Daniel.

Here's the sum

[tex] I+J=\int \frac{dx}{\left(\frac{1}{2}\sin 2t +2\right)^2} [/tex] (4)

I make the sub

[tex] 2x=t [/tex] (5)

[tex] I+J=\frac{1}{2}\int \frac{dt}{\left(\frac{1}{2}\sin t +2\right)^{2}} [/tex] (6)

I make the sub

[tex] \tan\frac{t}{2}=u [/tex] (7)

[tex] I+J=\int \frac{1+u^{2}}{(2u^{2}+u+2)^{2}} \ du=\frac{1}{4}\int \frac{1+u^{2}}{\left[\left(u+\frac{1}{4}-\frac{i\sqrt{3}}{2}\right)\left(u+\frac{1}{4}+\frac{i\sqrt{3}}{2}\right)\right]^{2}} \ du [/tex] (8)

Therefore

[tex] I+J=\int \frac{1+u^{2}}{\left[u^{2}+u\left(\frac{1}{2}-i\sqrt{3}\right)-\frac{11}{16}-\frac{i\sqrt{3}}{4}\right]\left[u^{2}+u\left(\frac{1}{2}+i\sqrt{3}\right)-\frac{11}{16}+\frac{i\sqrt{3}}{4}\right]} \ du [/tex] (9)

and now apply simple fractions.

Daniel.

What is factorizing the denominator?

Factorizing the denominator is the process of breaking down the denominator of a fraction into its prime factors. This is done to simplify the fraction and make it easier to work with.

Why is it important to factorize the denominator?

Factorizing the denominator is important because it allows us to simplify fractions and perform operations on them more easily. It also helps us identify any common factors that can be cancelled out, making the fraction even simpler.

How do you factorize the denominator?

To factorize the denominator, you need to find the prime factors of the denominator and then list them in ascending order. Then, you can cancel out any common factors between the numerator and denominator to simplify the fraction.

Can you factorize the denominator of any fraction?

Yes, you can factorize the denominator of any fraction as long as the denominator is a whole number and not a decimal or fraction itself. If the denominator is a decimal or fraction, you would need to convert it into a whole number first before factorizing.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when factorizing the denominator?

Some common mistakes to avoid when factorizing the denominator include forgetting to list all the prime factors, not simplifying the fraction fully, and incorrectly identifying common factors between the numerator and denominator. It is important to double check your work to ensure the fraction is simplified correctly.