1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fair Coin Qst

1. Oct 24, 2007 #1
    "A fair coin is flipped repeatedly. What is the probability that the 5th tail occurs before the tenth head?"

What I have so far:

So the 5th tail has to come before 10th head. So if we take getting a tails as success and after the 9th head, we MUST have 5 tails --> we can only have 14 flips or less(but more than 4, since we're looking for 5 Tails).

let X be the # of flips required to get a 5th tail and since X is a negative binomial rv(conditions above, hopefully)

The lower bound on the sum is 5, and the upperbound on the sum is 14. (n-1)C4 is n-1 "CHOOSE" 4

[tex]\sum[/tex]P(X=n) = [tex]\sum[/tex][(n-1)C(4)](0.5)[tex]^{5}[/tex](0.5)[tex]^{n-5}[/tex]

I don't know if I am doing this right because I am not 100% sure if X is a negative binomial RV. Can anyone maybe explain the setting up process or something.

Thanks

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted