Finding Final Velocity of a Falling Rotating Rod

In summary, the problem is asking for the speed of the top of a rod when it strikes the ground. By considering the ground to be frictionless and ignoring the lightweight rod, the problem can be simplified to a point mass. Using the principle of conservation of energy and taking moments about the bottom of the rod, the final velocity is calculated to be 8.85 m/s.
blue5t1053
Problem:
A rigid assembly is made of a light weight rod 2 m long and a heavy gold ball which is attached at the middle of the rod. The rigid assembly initially rests with one end on the ground in a vertical position. If released what speed does the top of the rod have when it strikes the ground?

Equations:
[tex]Rotational \ Inertia \ for \ a \ thin \ rod \ about \ central \ axis; \ \ I = \frac{1}{12} M L^{2}[/tex]

[tex]Rotational \ Inertia \ for \ a \ thin \ rod \ about \ non-central \ axis; \ \ I = \frac{1}{12} M L^{2} + M R(from \ center)^{2}[/tex]

[tex]Rotational \ Inertia \ for \ a \ sphere; \ \ I = \frac{2}{5} M r^{2}[/tex]

My Work:
Any help where to start? I am lost. I know that the final answer is 8.85 m/s.

Physics news on Phys.org
Show some attempt..

blue5t1053 said:
[tex]Rotational \ Inertia \ for \ a \ thin \ rod \ about \ central \ axis; \ \ I = \frac{1}{12} M L^{2}[/tex]

[tex]Rotational \ Inertia \ for \ a \ thin \ rod \ about \ non-central \ axis; \ \ I = \frac{1}{12} M L^{2} + M R(from \ center)^{2}[/tex]

[tex]Rotational \ Inertia \ for \ a \ sphere; \ \ I = \frac{2}{5} M r^{2}[/tex]

Hi blue5t1053! :smile:

You're making this too complicated … no wonder you don't know where to start. :rolleyes:

When a question uses words like "lightweight" and "heavy", it means that you can ignore the lightweight one.

So you don't need to consider moments of inertia … the rod is lightweight, so it counts as 0, and the ball is heavy, so you can regard it as a point.

So this is just a point mass. :smile:

(But is the ground frictionless, or is the rod attached to the ground? :confused:)

Now try it … ! :smile:

I am to assume that the ground is frictionless and that it will rotate from where the rod had made contact with the ground.

I can't find any way to calculate it without mass. What principle would I use to find it? I tried using angular velocity, but I couldn't make it work.

Would this be right?

[tex]m*g*h = \frac{1}{2} * m * v^{2}[/tex]

[tex]9.8 \frac{m}{sec^{2}} * 1 m = \frac{1}{2} * v^{2}[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{\frac{9.8 \frac{m}{sec^{2}} * 1 m}{\frac{1}{2}}} = v[/tex]

[tex]v = 4.427 \frac{m}{sec} \ ; \ then *2 m \ for \ top \ of \ rod[/tex]

[tex]v = 8.85 \frac{m}{sec}[/tex]

Hi blue5t1053! :smile:

You don't need the mass … it will be the same on both sides of any equation … it always cancels out.

Draw a diagram showing the rod at a typical angle θ.

Since you don't know the value of the normal force… and you'd rather avoid calculating it … get an angular acceleration by taking moments about the bottom of the rod! :smile:

blue5t1053 said:
Would this be right? …

(I forgot you were only asked to find the final velocity! :redface:)

Yes, that looks fine! :smile:

1. How does the length of the rod affect its rate of rotation during free fall?

The length of the rod does not affect its rate of rotation during free fall. This is because the gravitational force acting on the rod is the same regardless of its length, so the torque produced by the force is also the same. Therefore, the angular acceleration is the same regardless of the rod's length, resulting in the same rate of rotation.

2. Does the mass distribution of the rod impact its rotation during free fall?

Yes, the mass distribution of the rod does impact its rotation during free fall. This is because the torque produced by the gravitational force is dependent on the distance between the center of mass and the axis of rotation. If the mass is distributed closer to the axis of rotation, the torque and angular acceleration will be smaller, resulting in a slower rate of rotation.

3. How does air resistance affect the falling rod's rotation?

Air resistance can affect the falling rod's rotation in two ways. First, it can slow down the rod's acceleration, resulting in a slower rate of rotation. Second, if the rod's shape creates more drag, it can cause the rod to rotate in the direction of the drag force, rather than solely due to gravity.

4. Is the rotation of a falling rod affected by its initial velocity?

No, the rotation of a falling rod is not affected by its initial velocity. This is because the gravitational force acting on the rod is the same regardless of its initial velocity, so the torque and angular acceleration are also the same. However, the initial velocity can affect the rod's trajectory and the angle at which it falls, which may indirectly impact its rotation.

5. How does the surface the rod falls on impact its rotation?

The surface the rod falls on can impact its rotation in several ways. If the surface is rough, it can create more friction, which can slow down the rod's rotation. If the surface is inclined, it can change the direction of the gravitational force and the torque, resulting in a different rate of rotation. Additionally, the surface may have a non-uniform shape, which can cause the rod to rotate in a non-uniform manner.