Famous Arcsin Formula for e^x / Sqrt[1-e^[2x]] (Scan Paper)

• Thread starter Riazy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the conversation was about an integral with e^x divided by algebraic expressions and a variable switch. The solution involved using a famous arcsin formula and doing a substitution twice, with a restriction on x. The conversation also mentioned the use of u as e^x and sin x at the same time, and the importance of reading the entire integral before attempting to solve it.
Riazy
$e^x / Sqrt[1-e^[2x]] (An integral with e^x div by algebraic expressions)(Scan paper)

Homework Statement

Ok I will try my best to write this with digital characters: $e^x / Sqrt[1-e^[2x]]
You will see the problem attached on an image below for more details.

e^x is present

Homework Equations

When I do a variable switch, I recalled a famous arcsin formula (also listed below on my scanned paper)

The Attempt at a Solution

See the picture below

[PLAIN]http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/2892/img0003001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

You were right to think that it was an arcsin integral. This is how it is derived:

You have to do substitution it twice and there is a restricting on x.
2eoya8m.jpg

If your integral became

[tex]\int \frac{u}{\sqrt{1-u^2}} du [/tex]

then just do another substitution like t=1-u2, which would make your integral much simpler.

rock.freak667 said:
If your integral became

[tex]\int \frac{u}{\sqrt{1-u^2}} du [/tex]

then just do another substitution like t=1-u2, which would make your integral much simpler.

But if you do that, wouldn't there be a radical in the numerator?
If you let t = 1-u2
Then...

[tex]\int \frac{u}{\sqrt{1-u^2}} du [/tex] becomes [tex]\int \frac{\sqrt{t^2-1}}{t} du [/tex]
Or am I missing something?

planauts said:
But if you do that, wouldn't there be a radical in the numerator?
If you let t = 1-u2
Then...

[tex]\int \frac{u}{\sqrt{1-u^2}} du [/tex] becomes [tex]\int \frac{\sqrt{t^2-1}}{t} du [/tex]
Or am I missing something?

You'd need to get dt=2u du, such that u du=dt/2.

how did you make v = sin x = arcsin (v)

Because as far as I am concerned its not appearing in the integral yet

Wait.. Did you use U as e^x and both sin x at the same time`?, both of them up there are u:s then?

Last edited:

Riazy said:
how did you make v = sin x = arcsin (v)

Because as far as I am concerned its not appearing in the integral yet

Wait.. Did you use U as e^x and both sin x at the same time`?, both of them up there are u:s then?

Your integral contains an extra 'u' term in the numerator, so you can't really just use the result to get arcsine.

rock.freak667 said:
Your integral contains an extra 'u' term in the numerator, so you can't really just use the result to get arcsine.

And it should not contain that extra u term.

If you use u=e^x, then du=e^x dx

Your original integrand: e^x dx / (sqrt(1-e^2x))

So you get a new integrand: du / (sqrt (1-u^2)) ... which fits the formula from the back of your head. Planauts basically showed how that arcsin derivative was confirmed.

Next time I should read the entire integral to be done instead of the last one :redface:

1. What is the famous arcsin formula?

The famous arcsin formula, also known as the inverse sine formula, is a mathematical equation used to calculate the inverse sine of a given angle. It is written as sin-1(x) or arcsin(x) and is the inverse function of the sine function.

2. How is the arcsin formula derived?

The arcsin formula is derived from the trigonometric identity sin(A + B) = sin(A)cos(B) + cos(A)sin(B). By substituting A with x and B with sin-1 (x), we get sin(x + sin-1(x)) = sin(x)cos(sin-1(x)) + cos(x)sin(sin-1(x)). Using the Pythagorean identity sin2(x) + cos2(x) = 1, we can simplify this to sin(x + sin-1(x)) = sin(x) + cos(x)sin(sin-1(x)). Rearranging this equation gives us the arcsin formula: sin(sin-1(x)) = x.

3. What is the domain and range of the arcsin function?

The domain of the arcsin function is -1 to 1, while the range is -½π to ½π. This means that the input (x) must be between -1 and 1, and the output (y) will range from -½π to ½π.

4. What are some real-life applications of the arcsin formula?

The arcsin formula is commonly used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation. It can be used to calculate the angle of elevation or depression in surveying, determine the height of an object using a theodolite, and find the angle of refraction in optics. It also plays a crucial role in solving problems involving circular motion and harmonic oscillations.

5. How is the arcsin formula related to other inverse trigonometric functions?

The arcsin formula is closely related to the other inverse trigonometric functions such as arccosine (acos), arctangent (atan), and arccotangent (acot). Just like how the arcsin formula is used to find the inverse sine of a given angle, the other inverse trigonometric functions are used to find the inverse of cosine, tangent, and cotangent respectively. They all follow a similar derivation process and have their own specific domains and ranges.