Fan/Blower's functioning at different density of fluid

In summary: As for the fan/blower in question, is it necessary to change the configuration of the motor in order to blow air at a lower pressure?No, it is not necessary to change the configuration of the motor.
pranj5
Suppose we have a fan/blower that is working at sea level. It has a certain RPM against a specific voltage and current. We all know that. Now, that fan/blower has been brought to the top of a mountain where air is sufficiently less dense and the same voltage and current has been applied to the fan/blower. What will happen? Whether the RPM will increase or it will remain the same?
Common sense tells that RPM will increase as the air that it has to blow is less dense. And higher RPM means the speed of air is faster in comparison to the sea level. Whatsoever, it's my thought and I want to check it.

Engineering news on Phys.org
pranj5 said:
Suppose we have a fan/blower that is working at sea level. It has a certain RPM against a specific voltage and current. We all know that. Now, that fan/blower has been brought to the top of a mountain where air is sufficiently less dense and the same voltage and current has been applied to the fan/blower. What will happen? Whether the RPM will increase or it will remain the same?
Common sense tells that RPM will increase as the air that it has to blow is less dense. And higher RPM means the speed of air is faster in comparison to the sea level. Whatsoever, it's my thought and I want to check it.

I was going to say that question can't be answered without specifying the type of motor. But then I see that you said both voltage and current are unchanged. In other words, constant power.

So I say yes, to hold constant power with decreasing air pressure, we must increase fan RPM. That is a mechanical argument that has nothing to do with motors.

Likes Asymptotic
Thanks for the reply. Kindly tell me that what will happen to the air that will be blown by the motor. As it's less dense, does that mean it will be blown with higher velocity?
And, what is most important, is it necessary to change the configuration of a motor if the density of fluid blown is changed sufficiently? As for example, we have a fan/blower made to work at atmospheric pressure. I want to know whether whether we can use the same fan/blower (without any kind of change in configuration) to blow air at 1/10th atmospheric pressure? Is it necessary to change configuration of that motor?
Suppose that power supplied will be same in both cases.

Have you looked up "Fan Laws" ?

I have asked the question from practical viewpoint. It's mere theory and can be easily understood. What I want to know is that do we face a problem if we want to use a fan/blower that is made for air/gas at atmospheric pressure to air/gas at lower pressure.

pranj5 said:
Is it necessary to change configuration of that motor?
Suppose that power supplied will be same in both cases.

You're being impractical.

Work done by a pump(fan) at constant volume is roughly in proportion to density of whatever it's pumping.
density is under the square root sign with Δp in flow calculation so you need to define what this fan is pumping against
If you're going to force constant power into it it's got to move more cubic feet of the less dense fluid
and it's not clear how a propeller or centrifugal blower will do that.

An induction motor's speed won't change appreciably
but a DC motor might well speed up

To remove same heat from the motor its cooling system will require a lot more cfm of cooling air at 1/10th atm than at 1 atm

A question well stated is half answered and yours is neither.

The answer it deserves is "The motor will probably overheat because the rarified air doesn't cool its windings adequately."

old jim

Likes Asymptotic
That simply means if special means for cooling the motor is installed, it can perform. Right?

pranj5 said:
That simply means if special means for cooling the motor is installed, it can perform. Right?
Depends on what you mean by perform.
Will it go round in circles? Yes.
Will it move air? Not so much.

As Jim stated, a blower is a constant volume device, but it has variable mass flow. Air density is 0.075 lb/ft3 (at 70°F) at sea level which decreases as altitude increases; that is, less mass is moved the higher you go. Moving mass around is the purpose behind many fan applications, and there comes a point where you've gone too high, and are just spinning your wheel.

Likes jim hardy
I can understand that. Just tell me whether the mass moved will be at higher speed or not. If the power consumption remains the same, then that can only be concluded (consider the loss due to friction very little).

pranj5 said:
I can understand that. Just tell me whether the mass moved will be at higher speed or not. If the power consumption remains the same, then that can only be concluded (consider the loss due to friction very little).
Q=AV.
V=Q/A
for instance, where Q=flow volume (CFM), A=cross sectional area (ft2), and V=velocity (FPM).

pranj5 said:
Common sense tells that RPM will increase as the air that it has to blow is less dense. And higher RPM means the speed of air is faster in comparison to the sea level

As air density decreases, and there is less mass to move, in order to maintain constant power (which is determined in part by how much mass is moved) blower speed must increase, and so too will CFM, and hence velocity. However, how do you propose to do that when both motor current and voltage are held constant?

For example, the rotating field for a 4 pole, 460V, 3 phase AC induction motor at 60 Hz revolves at 1800 RPM. Fully loaded rotor speed is somewhat less (perhaps 1750 RPM), and approaches 1800 RPM as physical shaft loading decreases. It won't go faster than that unless a VFD is used, and frequency is increased, but maximum rated voltage remains 460V, and the only way to maintain constant power is to allow current to increase.

Another way to maintain constant power is to somehow change the physical nature of the blower or fan - add blades, change their pitch, increase overall size, or tweak another such factor "on the fly" - so it must do the same amount of work as air density decreases. Variable pitch is difficult but do-able (helicopters do it all the time), but nothing else jumps out at me.

What I can understand with common sense is that if density decreases, then velocity will increase. If density will decrease to 1/4th of the previous value then velocity will be twice as before.

pranj5 said:
Is that all you saw there ?

pranj5 said:
What I can understand with common sense is that if density decreases, then velocity will increase. If density will decrease to 1/4th of the previous value then velocity will be twice as before.

Any practical fan with fixed geometry and speed is essentially a constant volume device.
Mechanical engineers express head in feet of fluid flowing
so when you reduce density you reduce delta-pressure available to force air through the ductwork
and power goes down
if you counter that by increasing power (speed ) you can bring dp back up

fan laws tell us power is proportion to cube of shaft speed.
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/static-pressure-head-d_610.html
and head is in proportion to square of shaft speed

and i'll leave it to your common sense to ratio out those cube and square functions
and apply the speed/torque characteristic of whatever motor you envision..

1. How does the density of fluid affect the functioning of a fan/blower?

The density of fluid plays a crucial role in the functioning of a fan or blower. As the density of the fluid increases, the resistance to the movement of the fan blades also increases. This means that the fan must work harder to push the fluid, resulting in a decrease in its efficiency. On the other hand, a decrease in fluid density would result in less resistance and the fan would require less energy to function.

2. Can a fan/blower operate at different densities of fluid?

Yes, a fan or blower can operate at different densities of fluid. However, the performance and efficiency of the fan may vary depending on the density of the fluid. As mentioned earlier, a higher fluid density would require the fan to work harder, while a lower density would result in less resistance.

3. How does the design of a fan/blower affect its functioning at different fluid densities?

The design of a fan or blower can significantly impact its functioning at different fluid densities. A fan with a more aerodynamic design would be able to operate more efficiently at higher fluid densities, as it can overcome the increased resistance more easily. On the other hand, a poorly designed fan may struggle to function at optimal levels at different fluid densities.

4. Are there any specific types of fans/blowers that are better suited for different fluid densities?

There are various types of fans and blowers available in the market, each with its own unique design and purpose. Certain types, such as centrifugal fans, are better suited for higher fluid densities as they can generate higher pressures, while others, like axial fans, are more efficient at lower fluid densities. It is essential to select the right type of fan or blower for a specific application to ensure optimal performance.

5. How can the functioning of a fan/blower be optimized for different fluid densities?

To optimize the functioning of a fan or blower at different fluid densities, it is crucial to consider factors such as the type of fan, its design, and the fluid properties. Ensuring proper maintenance and regular cleaning of the fan blades and housing can also help improve its efficiency. Additionally, adjusting the fan speed or using a variable frequency drive can help optimize its functioning at different fluid densities.