Top Sky Viewing Apps for iPhone: A Comparison

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    App Sky
In summary: I use "Starry Night" on my PC. It's a great program, and I've never had any problems with it.I have used Google Sky and NightSky2 on my Android phones. I found them both to be very user-friendly and liked the graphics part. I use Stellarium on my desktop computer, and now I use Stellarium on my phone. I like it more than Google Sky.I use "Sky Guide" on my iPad. It has a lot more info and stuff than Google Sky (at least, the version of Google Sky that I was using back then). The app works on both iPad and iPhone.I use "Night Sky Tools" on my Android phone. It's great, has lots of
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I've used two. StarryNight is very nice, but it costs $. I usually use Stellarium, which is a free open source application. It is very easy to adjust the sky view for the desired time and location to find objects.

Likes 1 person
I use Stellarium too.
Celestia is also good.It provides real-time 3D view of the Solar system (Approximately). You can travel to stars,other planets,comets etc.. I love it!

GoSkyWatch just updated and the new main feature is 3D view of objects. Love it!

When I had an Android phone, I used Google Sky and had no complaints.

For IoS devices, I use Sky Guide, which actually has a lot more info and stuff than Google Sky (at least, the version of Google Sky that I was using back then). The app works on both iPad and iPhone.

Zz.

I have an iPhone and have used NightSky and NightSky2. I found them user-friendly and also liked the graphics part.

Mine's Stellarium too. It's nice and I like it.

I use Stellarium and Cartes du Ciel :)

I really love SkySafari 4 Pro on my iPad. It let's me set custom FOV using equipment I have. It also let's me control my telescope using my iPad. That, along with more than 20,000,000 stars and hundreds of thousands of Solar System objects, easily makes it one of the best programs on the market.

I used Stellarium on my desktop computer, and now I use Stellarium on my phone. I like it more than Google Sky.

this is important topic to me as I run a planetarium and want something the audience with ipads can interact with as it is projected onto the full dome. going to look at that 3D GoSkyWatch item...ty.

i use celestia and stellarium...love them

I used StarryNight back when I was still using Windows. Very nice app. Now on my Mac I use Stellarium which is also a very good app in my opinion. On my Galaxy Tab, Ipad, and Iphone I use Star Chart which I enjoy a lot

I'm starting to have a sort of dislike for Google Sky..

I'm using Star Walk on iPhone, looks Okay.

I use skeye for android. Not too shabby

On my android phone i use Night Sky Tools. It's great, has lots of information.

PhysicoRaj said:
I'm starting to have a sort of dislike for Google Sky..
Why's that?

paisiello2 said:
Why's that?

I don't know, but I think it's time they upgraded it. It feels somewhat unrealistic (to me) and especially when many other apps are getting on the list.

I do not think Google Sky is updated. Last time I used it during May, the latest version was from 2012.

Starseek pro, it's okay, mainly just use it to control my equipment.

Has to be night sky 2 it's only 99 cents

Stellarium ! The simplest and the most useful.

I'm not sure if this has already been suggested, but starry night is a good tool for finding things that are happening in the night sky in your area. I am not sure on the cost though, the program was given to me by an astronomy professor .

I use Stellarium, but maybe because I haven't really used much else. Simple and tells me what I need to know.

Likes davenn
I use "Star Rover" on my iphone. Always gives me good results and confirms things I see (Such as Jupiters moons that were visible with the naked eye 2 nights ago)

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Sky Guide is hands down the best app for iPhone that I've tried. It's visually stunning compared to most apps of the same kind, and it's easy to use. It does cost money though, but it's well worth it with all its neat features.

Likes Greg Bernhardt

1. What are some popular apps for sky viewing?

Some popular apps for sky viewing include SkyView, Star Walk 2, and SkySafari.

2. Can these apps identify constellations and stars?

Yes, most sky viewing apps have features that allow you to identify constellations and stars by pointing your device towards the sky.

3. Do these apps work offline?

Some sky viewing apps require an internet connection to function, but there are also offline options available. Make sure to check the app's description before downloading.

4. Are there any free sky viewing apps?

Yes, there are many free sky viewing apps available to download. Some may have limited features, but they are still great options for beginner stargazers.

5. Can these apps be used for astrophotography?

Some sky viewing apps have features specifically designed for astrophotography, such as tracking the movement of celestial objects. However, for high-quality astrophotography, it is recommended to use dedicated equipment and software.