Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Favorite app for sky viewing?

1. May 4, 2014 #1
    I've long used GoSkyWatch Planetarium. The augmented reality using GPS is very smooth and it's easy to find objects.

http://www.gosoftworks.com/GoSkyWatch/GoSkyWatch.html

I know there are a few of these out there. Which are you using?

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2014 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

I've used two. StarryNight is very nice, but it costs $. I usually use Stellarium, which is a free open source application. It is very easy to adjust the sky view for the desired time and location to find objects.

4. May 11, 2014 #3

adjacent

Gold Member

I use Stellarium too.
    Celestia is also good.It provides real-time 3D view of the Solar system (Approximately). You can travel to stars,other planets,comets etc.. I love it!

5. May 14, 2014 #4
    GoSkyWatch just updated and the new main feature is 3D view of objects. Love it!

6. May 14, 2014 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

When I had an Android phone, I used Google Sky and had no complaints.

For IoS devices, I use Sky Guide, which actually has a lot more info and stuff than Google Sky (at least, the version of Google Sky that I was using back then). The app works on both iPad and iPhone.

Zz.

7. May 16, 2014 #6
    I have an iPhone and have used NightSky and NightSky2. I found them user-friendly and also liked the graphics part.

8. May 28, 2014 #7

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

Mine's Stellarium too. It's nice and I like it.

9. Jun 8, 2014 #8
    I use Stellarium and Cartes du Ciel :)

10. Jun 11, 2014 #9
    I really love SkySafari 4 Pro on my iPad. It lets me set custom FOV using equipment I have. It also lets me control my telescope using my iPad. That, along with more than 20,000,000 stars and hundreds of thousands of Solar System objects, easily makes it one of the best programs on the market.

11. Jun 11, 2014 #10
    I used Stellarium on my desktop computer, and now I use Stellarium on my phone. I like it more than Google Sky.

12. Jun 11, 2014 #11
    this is important topic to me as I run a planetarium and want something the audience with ipads can interact with as it is projected onto the full dome. gonna look at that 3D GoSkyWatch item....ty.

13. Jun 12, 2014 #12
    i use celestia and stellarium...love them

14. Jun 12, 2014 #13

mzu

I used StarryNight back when I was still using Windows. Very nice app. Now on my Mac I use Stellarium which is also a very good app in my opinion. On my Galaxy Tab, Ipad, and Iphone I use Star Chart which I enjoy a lot

15. Jun 14, 2014 #14

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

I'm starting to have a sort of dislike for Google Sky..

16. Jun 20, 2014 #15
    I'm using Star Walk on iPhone, looks Okay.

17. Jun 25, 2014 #16
    I use skeye for android. Not too shabby

18. Jun 25, 2014 #17
    On my android phone i use Night Sky Tools. It's great, has lots of information.

19. Jun 26, 2014 #18
    Why's that?

20. Jun 27, 2014 #19

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

I don't know, but I think it's time they upgraded it. It feels somewhat unrealistic (to me) and especially when many other apps are getting on the list.

21. Jun 27, 2014 #20
    I do not think Google Sky is updated. Last time I used it during May, the latest version was from 2012.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook